News & Events
You are here
Professor Elizabeth Minor (on left) is passing along her love of water to students through teaching and research on the Blue Heron and in the lab.
UMD students, faculty and staff are invited to step aboard the Research Vessel Blue Heron on Friday, August 31, 2018 as part of a... more
UMD student conducts research on Lake Superior and ocean internal tide theory.
Dr. Ted Ozersky, Assistant Professor of Biology at UMD featured on Fox 21 Local News. Dr. Ozersky partnered with his PhD student,... more
Swenson College of Science & Engineering Assistant Professor Byron Steinman has been honored as a McKnight Land-Grant Professor.
Primordial oceans had oxygen 250 million years before the atmosphere
Cynthia Hagley, Minnesota Sea Grant educator, receives top national teaching award.
Clear lakes disguise impaired water quality.
Great Lakes scientists identify five grand challenges facing the Great Lakes
Large Lakes Observatory graduate researchers tackle hurdles faced by area communities.
The R/V Blue Heron visits Chicago's Navy Pier.
Other News Stories about LLO
- Robert Sterner's Local View: Duluth News Tribune "Largest lakes show yin, yang of Earth Day."
- Ozersky in the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Duluth News Tribune, Superior Telegram and on Minnesota Public Radio
- Minor in Legacy magazine
- Fakhraee and Katsev in Science Advances
- Robert Sterner talking about Lake Superior lake level on WDIO ABC
- Chris Filstrup and John Downing find that "Clear Lakes Disguise Impaired Water Quality."
- Ted Ozersky and Sergei Katsev are award an NSF grant - "Ecosystem-scale responses of coupled carbon and nutrient cycles to dramatic shifts in benthic communities: the Upper Great Lakes".
- Wisconsin Public Radio News - Researchers Study Waves Under The Waters Of Lake Superior. Sam Kelly, principal investigator for the study and an assistant professor with the Large Lakes Observatory at the University of Minnesota-Duluth.
- Byron A. Steinman, co-author: "Climate change drove population decline in New World before Europeans arrived."
- Jay Austin and Sam Kelly: Waves and Sound in Lake Superior
- Professor emeritus Robert Hecky received the Anderson-Everett award for service to the society
- Former PhD student Dan Titze received the Best Student Author award for a paper he published with his adviser Jay Austin.
- LLO is one of the participating organizations in NOAA's new "Cooperative Institute for Great Lakes Research"
- LLO is featured in the Spring edition of the Bridge.
- Chris Filstrup has coauthored an article published in Ecology and Evolution
- Byron Steinman has coauthored on a Nature Scientific Reports paper that came out yesterday and is getting press attention.
- Jay Austin answers in terms of ice and water for MPR News
- Jay Austin and Dan Titze article by Great Lakes Echo "Peering Beneath Great Lakes Ice"
- Steinman co-authors study linking paleoclimate to N. American population decline
- Bob Sterner interview on Fox 21 About Lake Superior Water Levels
- Bob Sterner wins ASLO's John H. Martin Award
- Ted Ozersky in the NY Times
- Jay Austin in the news
- Sam Kelly receives NSF funding
- Sam Kelly in MIT News
- Sergei Katsev in PNAS
- The Blue Heron in the news
- Sergei Katsev on Canyon Lake
- Jay Austin on MPR
- The RV Blue Heron in the Duluth Shipping News
- Johnson, Brown, Steinman, Halbur, Grosshuesch in Nature
- Local coverage of the Johnson et al. Nature paper
- Ozersky receives Sea Grant funding
- Steinman in The Environmental Monitor
- Sterner in C&E News
- The Mexidrill project going strong!