UMD Associate Professor Ted Ozersky is the principal investigator on a newly funded project titled "Collaborative Research: Advancing a comprehensive model of year-roun
Freshwater will air this spring on TPT - Twin Cities PBS (Date TBD)
The impact that quagga mussels have on the Great Lakes food web gives deep meaning to the saying 'food for thought'
Lake scientists have long considered winter a season when aquatic activity slows. Most do their field studies at other times of the year.
The Surface Water and Ocean Topography (SWOT) satellite is the first satellite dedicated to observing nearly all the water on the earth’s surface.
What scientists are seeing in the Great Lakes Ice so far this winter
Audrey Huff: Invasive Mussels Complicate Water Quality Management
The Large Lakes Observatory celebrates World Water Day.
We recently sat down with Dr. Jay Austin, who researches physical limnology (the study of lakes) with a focus on Lake Superior ice cover and the impact of climate change.
Other News Stories about LLO
- Rosalyn Putland, Jay Austin, Craig Hill and Allen Mensinger "A song of ice and vessels: seasonal trends in the soundscape in the western arm of Lake Superior" in the Journal of Great Lakes Research
- Donn Branstrator in National Geographic about the spiny water flea
- Sergei Katsev in the Knowable magazine about Lake Kivu
- Lisa Sundberg in North Star Port
- The RV Blue Heron on WDSE - Buoy Trip with the Large Lakes Observatory
- Sterner on WTIP discussing the benefits of the world's largest lakes
- Sterner and Reinl featured in the UMN Driven to Discover story: "Beating the blue-green blues"
- LLO Alumnus in the news: April Abbott
- Jay Austin talking about Lake Superior warming in the CBC
- Kathryn Schreiner's work on microplastics in the StarTribune
- Robert Sterner interview about the LLO open house on WDIO.
- Jay Austin's recovery of the 'horizontal mooring': Duluth News Tribune
- Robert Sterner comments on Lake Superior algal blooms for the New York Times, MPR, Fox21, KBJR6, WPR, and the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
- Liz Minor talking about Microplastic Conentration in the Apostle Islands with WPR and KBJR6 News
- Robert Sterner's Local View: Duluth News Tribune "Largest lakes show yin, yang of Earth Day."
- Ozersky in the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Duluth News Tribune, Superior Telegram and on Minnesota Public Radio
- Minor in Legacy magazine
- Fakhraee and Katsev in Science Advances
- Robert Sterner talking about Lake Superior lake level on WDIO ABC
- Chris Filstrup and John Downing find that "Clear Lakes Disguise Impaired Water Quality."
- Ted Ozersky and Sergei Katsev are award an NSF grant - "Ecosystem-scale responses of coupled carbon and nutrient cycles to dramatic shifts in benthic communities: the Upper Great Lakes".
- Wisconsin Public Radio News - Researchers Study Waves Under The Waters Of Lake Superior. Sam Kelly, principal investigator for the study and an assistant professor with the Large Lakes Observatory at the University of Minnesota-Duluth.
- Byron A. Steinman, co-author: "Climate change drove population decline in New World before Europeans arrived."
- Jay Austin and Sam Kelly: Waves and Sound in Lake Superior
- Professor emeritus Robert Hecky received the Anderson-Everett award for service to the society
- Former PhD student Dan Titze received the Best Student Author award for a paper he published with his adviser Jay Austin.
- LLO is one of the participating organizations in NOAA's new "Cooperative Institute for Great Lakes Research"
- LLO is featured in the Spring edition of the Bridge.
- Chris Filstrup has coauthored an article published in Ecology and Evolution
- Byron Steinman has coauthored on a Nature Scientific Reports paper that came out yesterday and is getting press attention.
- Jay Austin answers in terms of ice and water for MPR News
- Jay Austin and Dan Titze article by Great Lakes Echo "Peering Beneath Great Lakes Ice"
- Steinman co-authors study linking paleoclimate to N. American population decline
- Bob Sterner interview on Fox 21 About Lake Superior Water Levels
- Bob Sterner wins ASLO's John H. Martin Award
- Ted Ozersky in the NY Times
- Jay Austin in the news
- Sam Kelly receives NSF funding
- Sam Kelly in MIT News
- Sergei Katsev in PNAS
- The Blue Heron in the news
- Sergei Katsev on Canyon Lake
- Jay Austin on MPR
- The RV Blue Heron in the Duluth Shipping News
- Johnson, Brown, Steinman, Halbur, Grosshuesch in Nature
- Local coverage of the Johnson et al. Nature paper
- Ozersky receives Sea Grant funding
- Steinman in The Environmental Monitor
- Sterner in C&E News
- The Mexidrill project going strong!