Declare Your Major/ Minor

UMD has four colleges and countless opportunities

Students can major and minor, or double major, in different colleges at UMD. Work with university professionals and advising & academic services offices, with questions prior to submitting a major or minor declaration.

Current Students: Declare or Change a Major or Minor

To register as a student in a new major, plan to submit online forms to the collegiate unit that offers the major. We recommend meeting with your academic advisor to discuss options

Swenson College online: Add or change Major, Minor or Advisor Form

Log in to MyU & UMD email 

  • Swenson College students declaring, removing or adding a second Swenson major of the same degree type (B.S. and B.S.). Or request/change an advisor.
  • Students in another college adding a second major of the same degree type (ex. B.S. Linguistics and B.S. Computer Science).
  • Any student at UMD can use this form to declare or remove a Swenson College Minor. 


Dual Degree Program Application - Undergraduate (electronic) 
Add a major of a second degree type which is different from the first.

  • example: B.S. Biochemistry and B.A. Chemistry (two different degrees/same college)
  • example: B.S. Computer Science and B.A. Music (two different degrees in two different colleges)


Application for Undergraduate Change of College - UMD campus (electronic)
Submit the application to the collegiate unit that offers your intended major

Before submitting for a SCSE major, make sure you meet prerequisites:

  • One semester of UMD coursework, including mathematics at the level of College Algebra or above, must be successfully completedGPA minimums: 
    • 2.0 SCSE Science majors
    • 2.0 Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics
    • 2.5 Mechanical, Industrial and Civil Engineering
    • 3.0 Chemical Engineering

Minor declaration forms for minors in CAHSS, CEHSP and LSBE 
Enhance your primary program of study by adding a minor.  

Returning to Swenson College? We welcome you to submit the following:

Change to another U System Campus: Crookston, Morris, Rochester, UMTC