You are here
Declare Your Major/ Minor
UMD has five colleges and countless opportunities
Students can major and minor, or double major, in different colleges at UMD. Work with university professionals and advising & academic services offices, with questions prior to submitting a major or minor declaration.
Current Students Declaring your Major or Minor
To register as a student in a new major, plan to submit forms (online or in person) to the collegiate unit that offers the major. Use the online form links below or paper forms available in Swenson College Advising & Academic Services office.
Swenson College online: Add or change Major, Minor or Advisor Form (must be logged in to MyU & UMD email)
- Swenson College students declaring, removing or adding a second Swenson major of the same degree type (B.S. and B.S.). Or request/change an advisor.
- Students in another college adding a second major of the same degree type (ex. B.S. Linguistics and B.S. Computer Science).
- Any student at UMD can use this form to declare or remove a Swenson College Minor.
The Dual Degree Program Application is required when declaring a major with a second degree type different from the first:
- example: B.S. Biochemistry and B.A. Chemistry (two different degrees in the same college)
- example: B.S. Computer Science and B.A. Music (two different degrees in two different colleges)
- Current students in UMD colleges of (CEHSP, CLA, LSBE or SFA) whose goal is to declare a Swenson college major, submit the change of college form to Swenson Advising and Academic Services Office Engr. Building 140.
- One semester of UMD coursework must be completed prior to submission.
- Swenson students will also use this form if their intended major changes to something other than science or engineering. Submit the application to the collegiate unit that offers your intended major.
Other UMD Colleges Online Minor Declaration Forms
Swenson College students who would like to declare a minor program in another college to enhance their degree program can use these links:
- College of Education Human Services Professions: online Minor Declaration form
- College of Liberal Arts: Declare or Drop CLA Minor (online form)
- Labovitz School of Business and Economics: online Add/Change of Major or Minor Form
- School of Fine Arts: online Add an SFA Minor
Returning to Swenson College? We welcome you to submit the following:
- Re-enrollment Request (departed with good academic standing)
- Both the Re-enrollment Request and Petition forms are required if requesting re-enrollment after dismissal. Submit to SCSE Advising & Academic Services.
Change to other University of Minnesota Campus?
- First, meet with Advising and Academic Services to discuss your goal. They often have insight that may help with your decisions.
- Then submit the Application for Undergraduate Change of College (other University of Minnesota campuses).