The Planetarium hosted an eclipse viewing party which featured live streaming shows from NASA in the GeoDome.
Make A Gift
The Department of Physics and Astronomy is a launch pad for exploration and discovery of the universe. It is also the launch pad for our student's careers -- recent graduates start 50% in the private sector, 25% pursuing an advanced physics degree, and 25% pursuing another STEM advanced degree. Not including salaries and external grants, your support for endowed scholarships and annual discretionary funds are a vital half of the annual budget for students, travel, speakers, and equipment.
Click here to support UMD physics students through scholarships and expanded opportunities to do research. Two scholarships are through funds in memory of professors Donald E. Olson and Howard G. Hanson. The main physics fund supports a variety of faculty teaching and research opportunities, including support for student projects. You can also give broadly to the Swenson College of Science and Engineering for areas of greatest need across the college.
With your additional support:
- Enlarge the amounts of the scholarship or research support that 50% of our students earn their junior or senior year
- Ensure all our M.S. students are supported to focus on their research project the summer after their first year
- Support faculty and students to travel to opportunities outside of the scope of their research grants
- Bring in seminar speakers to talk about science, technology, discovery, and careers
- Respond with matching funds or equipment needs for faculty opportunities including teaching and research development