You are here
Participants in BURST get a rare opportunity to conduct research over a 10 week period in the summer. The program is designed to give qualified UMD Biology/Cell & Molecular Biology majors a chance to do in-depth analysis and see what it is like to do research as a full-time job.
Participants are paid a $4,500 stipend for their ten-week fellowship and $500 to cover research expenses.
Applications are typically due at the beginning of March. BURST applicants are required to have contacted a potential faculty mentor prior to submitting their application in order to discuss potential research projects. As part of the application the potential faculty mentor is required to provide a letter of recommendation to the BURST Fellowship Committee. It is the applicant’s responsibility to contact their potential faculty mentor and request a letter at least 2-3 weeks before the application deadline of March 1. Applicants will be notified in early April if they will be offered a BURST fellowship, and will be expected to accept or decline the fellowship within one week.
To receive a BURST fellowship, you must:
1) Be a registered Biology or Cell & Molecular Biology major at UMD;
2) Be in good academic standing;
3) Plan on registering full-time for the Fall semester of the 2018-2019 academic year; and
4) Be willing to commit at least 40 hours per week for ten weeks in summer 2018 to your BURST research project
THE BURST Fellowship Committee will select recipients on the following basis:
1) BURST application form;
2) A copy of your unofficial transcript (emailed directly to email@example.com);
3) A letter of recommendation from your potential faculty mentor (emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org),
4) A 1-2 page (~500 word) essay that focuses on your past research experience, why you're interested in working with your potential faculty mentor, and your proposed research project.
Fellowships will be awarded based on the quality of the student essay, faculty recommendation letter and student's Biology GPA.