You are here
Participants are paid a $4,300 stipend for their ten-week fellowship and $700 to cover research expenses.
Applications are due at the beginning of February 21, 2020. BURST applicants are required to have contacted a potential faculty mentor prior to submitting their application in order to discuss potential research projects. As part of the application the potential faculty mentor is required to provide a letter of recommendation to the BURST Fellowship Committee. It is the applicant’s responsibility to contact their potential faculty mentor and request a letter at least 2-3 weeks before the application deadline of February 21, 2020. Applicants will be notified in late March if they will be offered a BURST fellowship, and will be expected to accept or decline the fellowship within one week.
To receive a BURST fellowship, you must:
1) Be a registered Biology major at UMD;
2) Have a 3.0 in biology courses;
3) Plan on registering full-time for the Fall semester of 2020 academic year; and
4) Be willing to commit at least 40 hours per week for ten weeks in summer 2020 to your BURST research project
THE BURST Fellowship Committee will select recipients on the following basis:
1) This application form;
2) A copy of your unofficial transcript (emailed directly to email@example.com);
3) A letter of recommendation from your potential faculty mentor (emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org);
4) A 200-word essay that focuses on your past research experience and your future plans in biology (entered below);
5) A 500-word essay on your proposed research project (entered below).
6) A project budget (entered below).
Fellowships will be awarded based on the quality of the student essay, faculty recommendation letter and student's Biology GPA.