The SCSE Dean's Office has compiled a Google doc with awards information that provides greater detail on the below mentioned honors as well as information about U of M system level awards.
Information about awards offered by the UMD Academic Affairs office is here.
Click on the links below to go directly to information about the nominating process:
- Chancellor's Award for Distinguished Research/Creativity Activity
- Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Chancellor’s Award for Outstanding Public Service
- Outstanding Faculty Graduate Advisor Award
- Outstanding Faculty Undergraduate Advisor Award
Swenson College Awards
Any SCSE faculty member or group of faculty can nominate an individual for either the Sabra S. and Dennis L. Anderson Scholar/Teacher Award or the Swenson College of Science and Engineering Teaching Award. However, nominations for the UMD SCSE Young Teacher Award sponsored by Dr. James P. Riehl must be nominated by the Department Head and others are allowed to co-sign. No self-nominations are allowed.
- All nomination letters (limited to 2 pages) are due to the SCSE Dean’s office by February 15. Award recommendations will be based on the nomination letter, in accordance with the criteria described below.
- Letters should be emailed to: Associate Dean Erin Sheets at [email protected] with the subject line: “SCSE Faculty Awards Nomination Letter”
Selection process: Nominations will be reviewed by an awards committee who will make recommendations to the Dean for final selection.
Sabra S. and Dennis L. Anderson Scholar/Teacher Award
Criteria: This annual award honors a faculty member of scholarly distinction and teaching excellence who has an established record of directly mentoring undergraduate students in meaningful research projects.
Eligibility: Current faculty in the collegiate unit in which the Department of Mathematics resides, currently the Swenson College of Science and Engineering, who have taught undergraduate students at UMD for a minimum of ten years, including the year of nomination. Previous winners of this award are not eligible.
Award: A certificate and a monetary award of at least $500 from the interest on this endowment. The monetary award will be placed into the awardee's research account to be spent on equipment, travel, or any other non-salary research support items. One award per year.
A plaque recognizing all winners of this award will be placed in a prominent public place on campus. Drs. Sabra and Dennis Anderson are pleased to provide an appropriate plaque on which to record the names of the Scholar/Teacher Award recipients.
- 2020: Karen Gran
- 2019: Julie Etterson
- 2018: Alec Habig
- 2017: Elizabeth Austin-Minor
- 2016: Keith Lodge
- 2015: Bruce Peckham
- 2014: Zhuangyi Liu
- 2013: Pete Williemsen
- 2012: Richard Maclin
- 2011: Paul Kiprof
- 2010: Harlan Stech
- 2009: Victor Zhdankin
- 2008: Howard Mooers
- 2007: John Pastor
- 2006: John Hiller
- 2005: Ron Regal
- 2004: Doug Dunham
- 2003: Robert Carlson
- 2002: Ron Caple
- 2001: Dick Ojakangas
- 2000: Joe Gallian
- 1999: Larry Thompson
UMD SCSE Young Teacher Award sponsored by Dr. James P. Riehl
Criteria: This annual award honors faculty members who have made special contributions to teaching, including such things as outstanding classroom teaching, creative use of technology, special course development efforts, unusual time commitments or logistical issues with certain courses, dedication to helping students outside of class.
Eligibility: Non-tenured, tenure-track Assistant Professors in SCSE. Faculty are eligible from their arrival at UMD through the year of their promotion/tenure decision. Previous winners of this award are not eligible.
Award: This award will provide financial support of $1,000 to be used for resources related to teaching (monies transferred to departmental budget). Two awards per year.
- 2020: Alessandro Cembran and Melissa Mauer-Jone
- 2019: Latisha Brengman & Peter Peterson
- 2018: Bethany Kubik & Kathryn Schriener
- 2017: Rebecca Teasley & Xuan Li
- 2016: David Saftner
- 2015: Alison Hoxie & Briana Gross
- 2014: Mike Greminger & Guy Sander
- 2013: Nathan Johnson & Debao Zhou
- 2012: Jing Bai & Eric Musselmann
- 2011: John Dahl & Marshall Hampton
- 2010: Mike Rother & Steve Berry
- 2009: Hua Tang & Todd Loushine
- 2008: Clay Carter & Venkatram Mereddy
- 2007: Julie Etterson & Imran Hayee
- 2006: Donn Branstrator, Tim Demko & Carmen Latterell
Swenson College of Science and Engineering Teaching Award
Funded by donations from alumni and friends of SCSE.
Criteria: This annual award honors a faculty member who has made special contributions to teaching, including such things as outstanding classroom teaching, creative use of technology, special course development efforts, unusual time commitments or logistical issues with certain courses, dedication to helping students outside of class, et cetera.
Eligibility: Term faculty with at least 67% time appointment in SCSE. Previous winners of this award are not eligible.
Award: This award will provide financial support of $500 for resources related to teaching (monies transferred to departmental budget). One award per year.
- 2020: Scott Norr
- 2019: Brian Gute
- 2018: Sara Ojard
- 2017: Eric Erdmann
- 2016: Victor Lai
- 2015: Bill Pedersen
- 2014: Laura Zimmermann
- 2013: Chad Pierson
- 2012: Moe Benda
- 2011: Darrin Johnson
- 2010: Angela Sharp