Welcome to UMD and Swenson College!
The OAR in person program is coordinated through the Bulldog Resource Center. All new UMD students attend OAR prior to selecting a virtual appointment for advisement and course registration.
Swenson College Advising and Academic Services professional advisors look forward to meeting you during the in person advising presentation where you will learn about Swenson programs and the class registration process. After attending students sign-up for an individual meeting.
We recognize students beginning their first term at UMD are at different starting points. Help us help you by submitting the SCSE Pre-Advising Information form.
To ensure you are prepared for your virtual advisement and registration meeting, please complete each step below:
STEP 1: Determine how test scores and courses satisfy requirements
Course Placement information
- Mathematics Groups and Course Placement
- Language Placement Guides
- General Biology 1 BIOL1011: placement of MATH1005 completed or ACT 21 or higher.
- General Chemistry I CHEM1153/1154: placement of MATH1250 or higher math.
- Students without H.S. Chemistry start in Chem1113.
Earned college credit and transfer courses
- Advanced Placement Credit Awards (AP)
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- International Baccalaureate Credit Awards (IB)
- Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC)
- Transferology Create an account to see how courses transfer to UMD
STEP 2: Learn academic program, major and UMD degree requirements
UMD Degree requirements
- UMD Catalog: Major/Minor Requirements
- Liberal Education Program Requirements: All UMD students complete (exception: students with AA, AS, MNTC or Previous Degree)
Swenson College of Science and Engineering
General information about Course selection: Your first term at UMD- create a balanced schedule
- SCSE Majors & Minors: 4 year Sample Plans and Flow Charts
- SCSE major/minor courses that also satisfy UMD Liberal Education requirements
SCSE Two for One Fall 2023
SCSE Two for One Fall 2022 (transfer student option; meet with SCSE Professional Advisor)
Science and Engineering Pathways / Flowcharts
|Flowcharts (Engineering)||Chemical Engineering Flowchart||Electrical Engineering Flowchart|
|Industrial Engineering Flowchart||Mechanical Engineering Flowchart|
STEP 3: Preparing for Virtual Advisement and Registration
Additional Advising Tools and Resources
- Air Force ROTC
- Athletics Practice Schedule: Varsity Athletes should view to plan
- 1-2 credit elective courses: fun, practical and self-improvement options
- Music Ensembles and Practice times
- UMD Honors Program
APAS- Review your degree audit before and after registration
MyU> Academics> Student Tools> APAS
- How-to Guide: Access and View APAS (for declared majors)
- How-to Guide: View a What-if APAS Report
- How to view an Academic Credit Report
- How to read your APAS
Adding courses to your shopping cart
- SCSE Guide to Class Schedule: How to find in MyU and search for SCSE courses
- How to Search for Liberal Education courses using the Class Schedule
- UMD's How to Guides and Registration Guidelines
Register for courses
- Registration Hold will be removed after attending OAR in person.
- Students can begin to register for courses the next morning.
- Recheck courses in the shopping cart, proceed to finish enrolling.
- Enroll in Courses
- Questions will be addressed in during a SCSE individual Virtual Advising Appointment
STEP 4: Virtual Advising Appointment
Sign up to meet with an advisor to confirm course registration
- View your shopping cart to confirm open courses, shift as needed
- Check your UMD email for your zoom link invitation
Celebrate registering for your first term at UMD!
SCSE Advising After Hours Support
Meeting ID: 94413391542 & Passcode: h69YcF
Monday 4:30 pm - 5:30 pm
Tuesday 4:30 pm - 5:30 pm
Wednesday 4:30 pm - 5:30 pm
Thursday 4:30 pm - 5:30 pm
Get to know Additional Academic Support Services
- American Indian Learning Resource Center
- Career and Internship Services
- Disabilities Resources
- Multicultural Diversity
- Securian Mathematics Lab
- Supportive Services Program
- SCSE Academic Advising
After the first term, students will meet with their assigned faculty or professional advisor to discuss course selection and then will register for courses on their own through the web registration system. Students are welcome to come to Swenson College Advising and Academic Services office with questions. We are here to help. Additional information is found in the Registration Guidelines.