Welcome to UMD and Swenson College!
Your Orientation session, coordinated through the Bulldog Resource Center, is important to becoming a Bulldog!
Swenson College faculty and professional advisors look forward to working with each of you during the orientation and class registration program.
We recognize students beginning their first term at UMD are at different starting points. Help us help you, make sure you have submitted the SCSE Pre-Advising form.
To ensure you are prepared and ready for advisement and registration, please complete each step below.
STEP 1: Determine how test scores and courses satisfy requirements
Earned college credit and transfer courses
- Advanced Placement Credit Awards (AP)
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- International Baccalaureate Credit Awards (IB)
- Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC)
- Transfer Credit
- Use Transferology: see how courses transfer to UMD
STEP 2: Learn academic program, major and UMD degree requirements
UMD Degree requirements
- UMD Catalog: Major/Minor Requirements
- SCSE Majors/Minors/Sample Plans and Flow Charts
- Liberal Education Program Requirements: All UMD students complete (exception, students with AA or Previous degree)
- UMD Liberal Education Video
- Two for One Grid: SCSE major/minor courses that also satisfy UMD Liberal Education requirements
STEP 3: Preparing for Advising Meeting
- General information about Course selection: Your first term at UMD
- Course Registration Planning Worksheet: Write down course recommendations during advisement
APAS- Review your degree audit before and after registration
MyU> Academics> Student Tools> APAS
- How-to Guide: Access and View APAS (for declared majors)
- How-to Guide: View a What-if APAS Report
- How to view an Academic Credit Report
- How to read your APAS
STEP 4: Preparing for Virtual Registration (Orientation Day)
Adding courses to your Shopping Cart
- SCSE Guide to Class Schedule: How to find in MyU and search for SCSE courses
- How to Search for Liberal Education courses using the Class Schedule
- 1-2 credit elective courses: practical self-improvement options
Shopping Cart Review
- After Advising meeting; add recommended courses to your shopping cart (choosing open sections and do not waitlist)
- Email: [email protected] to request a review of your "shopping cart" prior to your orientation day.
STEP 5: SCSE Orientation Registration Day
The night before your orientation day
- View your shopping cart to confirm open courses, shift as needed
- Check your UMD email for your zoom link invitation
The morning of orientation
Enroll in Courses: refresh yourself on how to register
- You may register for your courses shortly after 8 a.m.
- Join the SCSE Virtual Advising Office by 9 a.m. for registration confirmation
- Meet with students in your major and SCSE
- Celebrate registering for your first term!
Get to know Additional Academic Support Services
- Supportive Services Program
- SCSE Academic Advising
- Disabilities Resources
- Multicultural Diversity
- American Indian Learning Resource Center
- Career and Internship Services
After the first term, students will meet with their assigned faculty or professional advisor to discuss course selection and then will register for courses on their own through the web registration system. Students are welcome to come to Swenson College Advising and Academic Services office with questions. We are here to help. Additional information is found in the Registration Guidelines.