Transfer Credit Resources

How do my courses transfer to UMD? Do I get credit for my AP course?

UMD and Swenson College departments want to ensure student success. Determining how college level credit completed outside of UMD is awarded, becomes a factor in aiding academic success. 

Course topics and sequencing vary at institutions across the nation; which means academic preparation may differ. With some courses, this can be important to academic success. At UMD, courses from other institutions are reviewed by faculty to determine how/if the course transfers.

Start the process by sending test scores and official transcripts to UMD Admissions.

  • Advanced Placement Credit (AP) scores should be sent directly from the College Board/AP (Get and send AP Scores).

  • Request Official transcript(s) be sent directly from the college(s) that awarded course credit(s).

Use Transferology for current equivalents to Swenson College courses. Transfer Guides:

Anoka-Ramsey Community College Transfer Guide Hibbing Community College Transfer Guide Lake Superior College Transfer Guide
  Ridgewater College Transfer Guide
Central Lakes College Transfer Guide Inver Hills Community College Transfer Guide Normandale Community College Transfer Guide Riverland Community College Transfer Guide
Century College Transfer Guide Inver Hills Community College Transfer Guide Northwood Technical College Transfer Guide Saint Paul College Transfer Guide
Fond du Lac Community College Transfer Guide  Lake Superior College Transfer Guide North Hennipen Community College Vermillion Community College Transfer Guide
University of Wisconsin La Crosse      

Understanding Transfer Credit
  • Credits count in three categories: liberal education requirements, major or minor courses, and elective credit.

  • The liberal education program will be considered complete if an Associate in Arts (A.A.), the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC), or Baccalaureate degree is indicated on an official transcript submitted from the transfer institution.  

  • In some cases, further evaluation of your courses may be required by faculty in the corresponding department. We recommend you save course materials from your classes, especially the syllabus, which will aid in evaluating the course(s).

Swenson College Advising and Academic Services professional advisors are here to assist with any questions about test or transfer credit.


Current and newly admitted students can review their APAS report (Academic Audit System Report) to see how courses/credits have been applied to program and university requirements. A Transfer Course Evaluation can also be generated through APAS.

Prospective students and current students can view how courses transfer and test credit is applied by using the resources and tools below.

*Additional Transfer Credit  information can be found at UMD's One Stop