The 2021 SURP students conducted research full-time all summer and finished the program with a poster session where they shared what they had learned.
Summer Undergraduate Research Programs
Offered by the UMD Chemistry and Biochemistry Department, this 10-week program gives UMD undergraduate students the chance to partner with a member of the Chemistry graduate faculty in analytical, biochemistry, biogeochemistry, bioinorganic, biomedical science, biophysical, chemistry education, computational, drug discoveries, environmental and aquatic chemistry, inorganic, organic, materials science chemistry, and physical chemistry research.
- The online application for the summer of 2021 program is now CLOSED.
- This program is for Chemistry and Biochemistry majors interested in summer research and exploring graduate and professional options upon graduation. The SURP program has several funding mechanisms, some of which are restricted to UMD Chemistry and Biochemistry majors and permanent US residents.
- Each participant is awarded $4,300. Housing, health insurance, and transportation are not included in this award.
- Applicants must have completed at least two years of college-level chemistry. Preference is given to students completing their third year of UMD Chemistry or Biochemistry curriculum, planning to attend graduate school, and those that have not previously received a SURP award.
- In addition to working on their research, participants are required to attend weekly seminars, research group meetings, recreational activities, and the SURP Poster Symposium.
- Recommendation letters are due at the same time as the student application deadline.
For more information, you can contact:
SURP Committee Chairs
Principal Office and Administrative Specialist