The 2021 SURP students conducted research full-time all summer and finished the program with a poster session where they shared what they had learned.
Summer Undergraduate Research Program
Offered by the UMD Chemistry and Biochemistry Department, this 10-week program gives UMD undergraduate students the chance to partner with a member of the Chemistry graduate faculty in these areas of research.
- The online application for the summer of 2022 program is OPEN. Please apply here. The application deadline has been extended to March 2, 2022. This ten-week program will run from May 31st, 2022 - August 5th, 2022.
- This program is for Chemistry and Biochemistry majors interested in summer research and exploring graduate and professional options upon graduation. The SURP program has several funding mechanisms, some of which are restricted to UMD Chemistry and Biochemistry majors and permanent US residents.
- Each participant is awarded $4,300. Housing, health insurance, and transportation are not included in this award.
- Applicants must have completed at least two years of college-level chemistry. Preference is given to students completing their third year of UMD Chemistry or Biochemistry curriculum, planning to attend graduate school, and those that have not previously received a SURP award.
- In addition to working on their research, participants are required to attend weekly seminars, research group meetings, recreational activities, and the SURP Poster Symposium.
- Recommendation letters are due at the same time as the student application deadline. Letters MUST be sent by the recommendation letter writer. Please send letters to Peyton Carlstrom at [email protected].
For more information, contact the Chemistry Department at [email protected].