You are here
Science On Deck
Every summer, the Large Lakes Observatory hosts tours on the deck of the Research Vessel (R/V) Blue Heron docked near Duluth's Great Lakes Aquarium. See below for more details.
Connecting with Our Community
We do outreach at Swenson College in a big way. Our students, faculty and staff engage with local students in the surrounding Minnesota and Wisconsin communities to encourage interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
Free Vessel Tours and Presentations
Every summer, the Large Lakes Observatory (LLO) hosts Science On Deck events on the research vessel (R/V) Blue Heron. The Blue Heron is part of the University National Oceanographic Laboratory System (UNOLS), and is chartered by research scientists to explore the Great Lakes. Tours are offered on a monthly basis during the summer sailing season (about five times a year) and LLO has been hosting them since the spring of 2013.
2018 event dates are:
- May 25, 2018 - Special event for school groups, contact Amy Kireta at email@example.com or 218-726-7409
- June 29, 2018 - Open to the public from noon to 4:00 p.m.
- July 20, 2018 - Open to the public from noon to 4:00 p.m.
- August, 2018 - Discovery World docked in Milwaukee, WI
- August 31, 2018 - Special event for UMD faculty and students (click the link for more details)