You are here
Summer Day Camps
Middle schoolers are invited to join us for a summer camp experience in July 2018 where they will create, build, analyze and experiment!
Connecting with Our Community
We do outreach at Swenson College in a big way. Our students, faculty and staff engage with local students in the surrounding Minnesota and Wisconsin communities to encourage interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
To support more informed and engaged citizens and inspire the next generation of STEM workers.
STEM in Motion - Summer Day Camps
How do you make things move? Springs? Rubber bands? Magnetism? ... EXPLOSIONS!
We will explore these techniques to make things move through experiments that are fun and safe.
Pre-registration is required (Fill out one Google Form per participant)
Here are the details:
- Boys Camp - July 16-20 (Camp is FULL but registrations are still being accepted if you'd like to be added to the wait list.)
- Girls Camp - July 23-27 (Camp is FULL but registrations are still being accepted if you'd like to be added to the wait list.)
- Open to youth that have completed 6th to 8th grade (by the end of this school year)
- Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., no overnights
- Cost is free, however donations are welcome
- Students must bring their own lunches
- Transportation to UMD campus is not provided
- If earlier drop-off is needed, talk to the camp organizer (see below) to make special arrangements
- Space is limited so sign up today
For more information - contact Shey Peterson at email@example.com or call 218-726-6830
Science On Deck- Free Vessel Tours and Presentations
Every summer, the Large Lakes Observatory (LLO) hosts Science On Deck events on the research vessel (R/V) Blue Heron. The Blue Heron is part of the University National Oceanographic Laboratory System (UNOLS), and is chartered by research scientists to explore the Great Lakes. Tours are offered on a monthly basis during the summer sailing season (about five times a year) and LLO has been hosting them since the spring of 2013.
2018 event dates are:
- June 29, 2018 - Open to the public from noon to 4:00 p.m.
- July 20, 2018 - Open to the public from noon to 4:00 p.m.
- August, 2018 - Discovery World docked in Milwaukee, WI
- August 31, 2018 - Special event for UMD faculty and students (click the link for more details)
Free Research Tours: NOvA Far Detector Lab in Ash River, Minnesota
Come learn about amazing physics research happening in the Arrowhead, every Thursday from May 31 to August 23
- Learn about the mysterious neutrino, one of the most abundant, yet smallest, particles in the universe
- Neutrinos have a mass of less than one millionth of an electron
- Neutrinos rarely interact, although a trillion pass through your body every second, it is unlikely that even one will hit any of your atoms
- Neutrinos are being beamed from the Fermilab, near Chicago, IL, to be detected at the Far Detector Lab in northern MN
- Here are data from the Far Detector
- Understanding neutrinos can help us better understand the universe
- Every Thursday from May 31- August 23
- Tours run from 10 am- 3 pm
- 10709 Bright Star, Orr MN 55771
- No sandals or open-toed shoes are permitted on tours
Call 218-374-2400 ext 0 for more information or to arrange group tours.
UMDCYL 2018 Champions
The winners of the 3rd annual UMD Cybergames Youth League are:
1st place: Northern Lakes Regional Academy Eagles (Rice Lake, WI)
2nd place: Ordean East Huskies (Duluth, MN)
3rd place: Moose Lake Rebels (Moose Lake, MN)
We want to thank all the teams for participating in the games this year and look forward to checking out your programming skills next year.