You are here
This summer we hosted two STEM in Motion camps for middle schoolers to get them excited about engineering. The girls above are building water rockets.
Connecting with Our Community
We do outreach at Swenson College in a big way. Our students, faculty and staff engage with local students in the surrounding Minnesota and Wisconsin communities to encourage interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
To support more informed and engaged citizens and inspire the next generation of STEM workers.
Science On Deck- Free Vessel Tours and Presentations
Every summer, the Large Lakes Observatory (LLO) hosts Science On Deck events on the research vessel (R/V) Blue Heron. The Blue Heron is part of the University National Oceanographic Laboratory System (UNOLS), and is chartered by research scientists to explore the Great Lakes. Tours are offered on a monthly basis during the summer sailing season (about five times a year) and LLO has been hosting them since the spring of 2013.
2018 event dates are:
- August, 2018 - Discovery World docked in Milwaukee, WI
- August 31, 2018 - Special event for UMD faculty and students (click the link for more details)
Free Research Tours: NOvA Far Detector Lab in Ash River, Minnesota
Come learn about amazing physics research happening in the Arrowhead, every Thursday from May 31 to August 23
- Learn about the mysterious neutrino, one of the most abundant, yet smallest, particles in the universe
- Neutrinos have a mass of less than one millionth of an electron
- Neutrinos rarely interact, although a trillion pass through your body every second, it is unlikely that even one will hit any of your atoms
- Neutrinos are being beamed from the Fermilab, near Chicago, IL, to be detected at the Far Detector Lab in northern MN
- Here are data from the Far Detector
- Understanding neutrinos can help us better understand the universe
- Every Thursday from May 31- August 23
- Tours run from 10 am- 3 pm
- 10709 Bright Star, Orr MN 55771
- No sandals or open-toed shoes are permitted on tours
Call 218-374-2400 ext 0 for more information or to arrange group tours.
UMDCYL 2018 Champions
The winners of the 3rd annual UMD Cybergames Youth League are:
1st place: Northern Lakes Regional Academy Eagles (Rice Lake, WI)
2nd place: Ordean East Huskies (Duluth, MN)
3rd place: Moose Lake Rebels (Moose Lake, MN)
We want to thank all the teams for participating in the games this year and look forward to checking out your programming skills next year.
May 16-19, 2019
UMD is hosting this biennial event and will invite youth in grades 8-12 to participate. The purpose of the event is to bring together students to experience the science, art, culture and challenges of protecting one of the greatest bodies of freshwater on the planet - Lake Superior. For more details, check out the LSYS webpage.
Registration for the event will open in January of 2019.