FOCUS - Our Strategic Plan
The Swenson College of Science & Engineering FOCUS Strategic Plan priorities, initiatives, and goals will guide the College for the next five years. From enhancing research opportunities and nurturing a culture of discovery to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion, this plan is a testament to our dedication to student success, community wellbeing, innovative research and teaching, and strong partnerships.
Inspire the next generation of STEM professionals to solve complex problems.
Lead in building interdisciplinary, inclusive communities to create a sustainable future.
Student-Centered, Growth, Inclusion, Community, Creativity, Stewardship
FOCUS Strategic Initiatives
Advance student success by delivering integrated experiences that support developmental transitions and postgraduate success.
- Eliminate equity gaps to improve first and second year undergraduate retention by developing targeted co-curricular student success programming.
- Improve graduate student success by building a coordinated Swenson specific academic and professional development support program.
- Prepare students for the workforce by creating an integrated system for engaging in and articulating curricular and co-curricular skill development opportunities.
- Strengthen undergraduate and graduate advising and mentorship to support progression and professional growth by improving the efficiency and diversity of services.
Thriving Swenson Community
Proactively support student, faculty, and staff well-being.
- Support a diverse SCSE community by enacting policies, practices, and programming that advance diversity, equity, inclusion, justice, and belonging within the college.
- Support student well-being by improving student-centered teaching, and co-curricular programming.
- Support employees well-being by addressing climate survey results and seeking solutions to right-size employee workloads.
Advancing Innovative Research & Training
Expand Swenson's portfolios in high-impact research and student-centered teaching to successfully compete with peer and aspirational institutions.
- Enhance support for engaging in high-quality, impactful research by improving infrastructure and financial sustainability.
- Expand faculty and staff expertise by making cross-disciplinary research opportunities more accessible.
- Enhance teaching innovation by increasing support of faculty development and collaborations.
Expand scholarly efforts, leverage shared knowledge and resources, and positively impact the Northland, Minnesota, and the world through mutually beneficial partnerships and collaborations.
- Improve expertise in the region's STEM-related goals by expanding coordinated cross-disciplinary networks within Swenson College and across campus.
- Improve responsiveness to the region by increasing alumni, community and partner outreach and engagement.
- Improve student skills and training for the workforce by advancing industry, agency, nonprofit and community partnerships on SCSE projects.