Policies & Forms

IBS Program Forms and Documents

IBS Graduate Student Handbook

Information in the IBS Graduate Student Handbook applies to all students admitted to the IBS Graduate Program. It houses policies and procedures in order to successfully complete Master's and Doctoral Degrees.

IBS Assessment Plan
Frequently Asked Questions

Employment & Health Insurance Information

The Graduate Assistant Employment office has answers to the questions you have about tuition benefits, job vacancy postings, semester provisional benefits, extended benefits and policies.
Your questions and concerns can be addressed to us via e-mail, phone, or fax, or you may visit us in person.

OHR Contact Center 612-624-UOHR (612-624-8647)

Graduate Assistant Employment Information

UMD Graduate Assistant Resources

Graduate Assistant Employment Policy

Health Insurance (GAHP) Information

Graduate School Forms and Documents

Graduate Degree Plan

Review your major field’s student handbook and confer with your faculty adviser and Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) to ensure your plan fulfills minimum graduate education and program requirements, and declare your plan to acquire your degree.

Obtain original signatures from your faculty adviser, co-adviser (if applicable), major field DGS, and minor field DGS (if applicable) indicating their approval and submit to your graduate program for review. A copy of your plan will be sent to your University email following final review.

Petition Form 
To change the Graduate Degree Plan, the Petition Form must be filled out and turned in to the IBS Program Office for processing. 

Assign/Update Examining Committee (Must sign in with X.500, online student initiated process, replaces the degree transmittal form)

Thesis committee membership from outside the University:

The University of Minnesota allows Ph.D.-level scientists from outside the University to participate in student thesis committees. Approval of outside thesis committee members are dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

The IBS Executive Committee reviews these requests and forwards recommendations to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Graduate Programs on the Duluth campus, who then approves or denies these requests. Outside members generally have expertise that does not exist within the University (e.g., they often work for governmental agencies) and provide a valuable service to our program.

IBS graduate students may include members from outside the University on their thesis committees; however, M.S. student thesis committees must be comprised of at least three faculty members with graduate appointments at the University of Minnesota. Doctoral student thesis committees must be comprised of at least four members, with three members having graduate appointments at the University of Minnesota. The intent behind the policy is to create a consistent basis for the formation of thesis committees.

For more information on the official policy and approval process:

Information on Advanced Status

Refer to the Registration Information page for details on advanced status and GRAD 999.

Requesting Leave of Absence

Leave of Absence and Reinstatement from a Leave: Graduate Students

If a student needs to leave the program for any reason, the Leave of Absence Form must be filled out and submitted to the Graduate School to prevent any negative consequences related to academic, visa, financial aid, and other student issues.

Graduate School Forms and Information

Master's Students

Doctoral Students