Deadlines For Funding
- January 1 is the internal application deadline for applicants who wish to be nominated for the Diversity of Views and Experiences (DOVE) Fellowship. Applicants who meet all eligibility requirements must request nomination by emailing [email protected]
- January 15 is the priority application deadline. Applications received by January 15 will be given priority consideration for admission and financial support. Applications received after January 15 will be considered on a space and funds available basis.
- March 15 is the final application deadline, although we strongly urge applicants to submit their application well before this deadline.
Graduate Application - All materials, including transcripts, must be submitted electronically through this online application system. We cannot review your application until all of the required materials are submitted successfully. If you need to add a document to your application after you have submitted it, please email [email protected].
Admission decisions are communicated to applicants using this system.
Graduate School Application Instructions
University of Minnesota Graduate School
Spring semester admission is may be offered, depending on availability of funding. Check with the IBS program to see if a spring semester start is an option. Most IBS students start the program in the fall semester.
- Please carefully read the instructions that appear throughout the online application pages.
- You can only submit your application one time.
- If you have updates to any information you have submitted, please notify the IBS Program Office ([email protected]) at once.
- If you have updates to your personal account information (i.e. name, email address) you must update that information yourself. Failure to do so will result in our not being able to contact you regarding the status of your application.
- The decision for admission notice will be emailed to you once your completed application is carefully reviewed by the IBS Admissions Committee.
- You can expect a decision by late March or early April.
- Although not a program requirement, you are strongly encouraged to be in direct contact with any IBS faculty members with whom you wish to work.
- The IBS Admissions Committee will use a holistic approach to evaluating the application.
Check your email and application status frequently. The Graduate School and/or IBS Program Office will notify you if you are missing documents and/or when your application is complete.
Narrow your program options by selecting the University of Minnesota Campus you plan to attend. Select University of Minnesota Duluth, even if you intend to the program from the Twin Cities campus.
Select your proposed major and degree from these Duluth campus programs:
- Integrated Biosciences - Duluth - MS
- Integrated Biosciences - PhD
- Only choose Fall Term - IBS does not allow spring term admission.
Please specify your campus of choice on the IBS Supplemental Application and in your online application as part of your Personal Statement.
Application Required Sections:
- Program Selection
- Term Selection
- Biographical Information
- Personal Background
- Academic History
- Test Scores
Additional information required:
Any and all relevant examples of research, teaching, and work experience should be included in your Resume/CV. All scholarly awards and relevant activities should also be included in your Resume/CV.
All other fields or application materials are optional, but will be taken into consideration if submitted. This includes an optional Writing Sample and Description of Research. The Description of Research is a short document that provides a brief history of your past research experience, the current state of your research, and the future work you intend to complete. The Description of Research is often the primary way for a program to determine if a candidate’s interests and past experience make them a good fit for their program/institution.
Upload written materials under the Materials section of your online application.
IBS Supplemental Application
Download and complete the IBS Supplemental Application and upload it under the Graduate Program Additional Material section of your online application.
Note - declaring a minor is not required.
Please do not send official transcripts until we request them from you, as this may delay the processing of your application. Unofficial transcripts or academic records should be uploaded directly to the online application. If you are recommended for admission you will need to provide an official transcript, sent to us by mail directly from the institution.
Please do not mail in paper copies of your transcripts, there is no need for official transcripts or academic records for initial review.
Information about transcripts and credentials
Three Letters of Recommendation
Enter complete information about your recommendation letter writers under the Recommendations section of your online application.
Acceptable recommendations will come from current or former professors who can assess your potential for graduate work. Other recommenders, such as employers, are also acceptable. Paper copies are not accepted. A minimum of three recommendations is required, there is no maximum.
English Language Proficiency
English Language Testing Options for International Students
EXCEPTIONS: Applicants who have completed 24 quarter credits or 16 semester credits (within the past 24 months) in residence as a full-time student at a recognized institution of higher learning in the United States (or other English-speaking country) before entering the University of Minnesota may be exempted from this requirement.
When you take the GRE exam by computer, you will get to a point where it asks you what institutions you want to send the scores. One of the institutions is the University of Minnesota Minneapolis/St. Paul (code 6873). No department code is needed.
GRE scores must not be more than 5 years old. If you already have your scores you can send a copy electronically to [email protected]. Unofficial copies will be accepted for initial review; however, official copies must still be sent to the Graduate School.
Please provide a statement outlining your immediate educational and long-range career objectives in relation to your chosen field. If there is a particular faculty member with whom you wish to study, please give that person's name and explain why you want to study with that person. You may also wish to include other information, such as any undergraduate research experience, internships, or other experiences you may have had to document your preparation for advanced study in your chosen field.
Please write a statement that identifies the distinctive qualities, characteristics, and life experiences you would contribute to your graduate program and to the education of fellow students at the University of Minnesota. You may wish to include examples that address your contribution to the diversity of the student body and illustrate your motivation to succeed by setting high standards for accomplishing intellectual and other goals, overcoming obstacles to achievement, and/or helping others to gain access to the resources necessary for success.
IBS Supplemental Application
Do not forget to upload this completed Word document before submitting your application.
Extenuating Circumstances Statement - IF APPLICABLE
If your grades and/or test scores are not strong, and you would like to provide an explanation, please do so.