You are here
Deadlines For Funding
- January 1 is the internal application deadline for applicants who wish to be nominated for the Diversity of Views and Experiences (DOVE) Fellowship.
- Applicants who meet all eligibility requirements must request nomination by emailng email@example.com
- January 15 is the priority application deadline. Applications received by January 15 will be given priority consideration for admission and financial support. Applications received after January 15 will be considered on a space and funds available basis.
- March 15 is the final application deadline, although we strongly urge applicants to submit their application well before this deadline.
Graduate Application - All materials, including transcripts, must be submitted electronically through this online application system. We cannot review your application until all of the required materials are submitted successfully. Here are instructions on how to add new documents if you have already submitted your application.
Admission decisions are communicated to applicants using this system.
Spring semester admission is NOT offered. The IBS Program only offers Fall semester admissions.
- Please carefully read the instructions that appear throughout the online application pages.
- You can only submit your application one time.
- If you have updates to any information you have submitted, please notify the admissions office at once.
- If you have updates to your personal account information (i.e. name, email address) you must update that information yourself. Failure to do so will result in our not being able to contact you regarding the status of your application.
- The decision for admission notice will be emailed to you once your completed application is carefully reviewed by the department's admission committee.
- You can expect a decision by late March or early April.
- Although not a program requirement, you are strongly encouraged to be in direct contact with any IBS faculty members with whom you wish to work.
Check your email and application status frequently. The Graduate School and/or IBS Program Office will notify you if you are missing documents and/or when your application is complete.
Selecting Your Campus
- When selecting "What is your proposed major and degree objective" please select one of the following:
- Integrated Biosciences - Duluth - MS (under Duluth Campus Programs)
- Integrated Biosciences - PhD (under Twin Cities Campus Programs)
- When selecting "What Campus will you be attending", please select:
- For Master's Program: The University of Minnesota - Duluth (even if the campus you propose to study at is the Twin Cities Campus).
- For Ph.D. Program: The University of Minnesota - Twin Cities (even if the campus you propose to study at is the Duluth Campus).
- Please specify your campus of choice on the IBS Supplemental Application below and in your online application under "Applicant Statements - Personal Statement".
Required fields: Personal Information, Application Information, Educational Background, Languages, Awards/Activities, Employment/Residence Information, Financial Support, Applicant Statements #1 & #2 - Personal & Diversity, the IBS Program Supplemental Application, and three Recommendations.
Additional information required:
Description of research, teaching, and work experience should be included in your resume or CV.
All other fields or application materials are optional, but will be taken into consideration if submitted. This includes an optional writing sample and research statement. The research statement is a short document that provides a brief history of your past research experience, the current state of your research, and the future work you intend to complete. The research statement is often the primary way that a committee determines if a candidate’s interests and past experience make them a good fit for their program/institution.
Submit materials under Graduate Program Supplementary Information section in the appropriate area.
IBS Supplemental Application
Download and complete the IBS Supplemental Application and upload it under Graduate Program Additional Application in the Program Supplementary Information section in ApplyYourself.
Note - declaring a minor is not required.
Please do not send official transcripts until we request them from you, as this may delay the processing of your application. Unofficial transcripts or academic records should be uploaded directly to the online application. If you are recommended for admission you will need to provide an official transcript, sent to us by mail directly from the institution.
Please do not mail in paper copies of your transcripts, there is no need for official transcripts or academic records for initial review.
Three Letters of Recommendation
Enter complete information about your references online using ApplyYourself.
Acceptable recommendations will come from current or former professors who can assess your potential for graduate work. Other recommender's, such as employers, are also acceptable. Paper copies are not accepted. A minimum of three recommendations is required, there is no maximum.
English Language Test Scores
EXCEPTIONS: Applicants who have completed 24 quarter credits or 16 semester credits (within the past 24 months) in residence as a full-time student at a recognized institution of higher learning in the United States (or other English-speaking country) before entering the University of Minnesota may be exempted from this requirement.
When you take the GRE exam by computer, you will get to a point where it asks you what institutions you want to send the scores. One of the institutions is the University of Minnesota Minneapolis/St. Paul (code 6874). No department code is needed.
GRE scores must not be more than 5 years old. If you already have your scores you can send a copy electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Unofficial copies will be accepted for initial review; however, official copies must still be sent to the Graduate School.
Statement 1 - Personal Statement
Please provide a statement outlining your immediate educational and long-range career objectives in relation to your chosen field. If there is a particular faculty member with whom you wish to study, please give that person's name and explain why you want to study with that person. You may also wish to include other information, such as any undergraduate research experience, internships, or other experiences you may have had to document your preparation for advanced study in your chosen field.
Statement 2 - Diversity
Please write a statement that identifies the distinctive qualities, characteristics, and life experiences you would contribute to your graduate program and to the education of fellow students at the University of Minnesota. You may wish to include examples that address your contribution to the diversity of the student body and illustrate your motivation to succeed by setting high standards for accomplishing intellectual and other goals, overcoming obstacles to achievement, and/or helping others to gain access to the resources necessary for success.
IBS Supplemental Application
Do not forget to upload this completed Word document before submitting your application.
Statement 3 - Extenuating Circumstances - OPTIONAL
If your grades and/or test scores are not strong, and you would like to provide an explanation, please do so.