IBS Students on Blue Heron

University Transfer Policies

Coursework from another institution being used to fulfill degree requirements should be included on the Graduate Degree Plan.

Transcripts

An official transcript should be included unless a transcript showing that coursework is already on file at the Graduate School. If your Graduate Degree Plan is already approved, you must submit a petition along with an official transcript of the other institution.

Requirements

Master’s degree students can transfer up to 40% of the coursework included on the Graduate Degree Plan. The remaining 60% must be taken as a registered U of M Graduate School student. Doctoral students can transfer credits from another institution at the discretion of their graduate program. Doctoral and master's students who have taken non-degree seeking coursework for graduate credit at the U of M can only transfer in up to 12 of those credits.

Work to be transferred must be post-baccalaureate, graduate level, and have been taught by faculty authorized to teach graduate courses. It is the student’s responsibility to provide appropriate course documentation (e.g., course syllabi, faculty status information) supporting proposed transfer credits to the program.

In the case of a transfer from a non-U.S. institution, the credits must have been earned in a program judged by the Graduate School to be comparable to a graduate degree program in a graduate school of a regionally accredited institution in the United States.

Courses taken before the awarding of a baccalaureate degree cannot be transferred.