An Integrated Approach to Research and Learning
The Integrated Biosciences Graduate Program is a University of Minnesota systemwide program, offering M.S. (Plan A only, thesis required) and Ph.D. degrees. The program emphasizes principles that connect all fields of the biological sciences and prepares students for a variety of careers in their chosen area of study.
Excellent research and classroom opportunities are available on both the Duluth and Twin Cities campuses.
Our Unique Program
Students can choose advisors from numerous University departments (on both the Duluth and Twin Cities campuses), as well as associated faculty at the Natural Resources Research Institute, the Large Lakes Observatory, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Duluth, the University of Minnesota Medical School - Duluth Campus and the University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy - Duluth Campus.
In order to ensure an integrative approach, our program includes:
A first year course sequence required of all students that includes courses in integrated systems approaches in biology, advanced evolutionary biology, experimental design, a course in either animal or plant physiology, and professional practice and ethics.
Student research/journal clubs.
Special topic courses that are chosen by both faculty and students.
Specialization in one of the following emphases: Chemical Biology emphasis; Cell, Molecular, and Physiological Biology; or Ecology, Organismal, and Population Biology emphasis.
Financial support is available through both research and teaching assistantships. Graduate students holding an assistantship receive health benefits and tuition waivers.
Spring 2023 Admissions - Closed
Deadline for Applications to be considered for Spring 2023 start - October 1, 2022
Fall 2023 Admissions - Open Now!
12/15/22 - Notify program if you would like to be considered for the DOVE Fellowship
01/01/23 - IBS applications to be considered for DOVE Fellowship
01/15/23 - IBS Application Priority Funding Deadline
03/15/23 - IBS Application Final Deadline
$75 - U.S. Citizens/Permanent Residents
$95 - International Applicants
Important Dates - 2022/2023
- Aug. 29: First Day of Classes Fall 2022
- Nov. 24-25: Thanksgiving Break - UMD Closed
- Dec 2: McNair Scholar Request for Application Fee Waiver - https://grad.umn.edu/diversity/mcnair-scholars-resources for more information
- Dec. 3: Spring 2023 Course Registration deadline (for determining Biology Graduate Teaching Assistant assignments)
- Dec. 9: Last Day of Fall Classes
- Dec. 16: Last Day of Fall Finals
- Dec. 22, 23, 26, 30 & Jan. 2: UMD Closed
- Jan. 11: First Day of Classes Spring 2023
- April 28: Last Day of Spring Classes
- May 5: Last Day of Spring Finals
- May 6: Commencement