You are here
Swenson College hosts and participates in a variety of fun, hands-on events that enlighten young students’ minds and gets them thinking about how science and technology is present in their everyday life. These events also connect young students with experts and students in the STEM fields. Students learn from peer mentors what career opportunities exist in the real world beyond college.
The Theory of Everything
- Friday, April 28, 2017 Classical and Quantum Field Theories
- Recurring series, last Friday of the month through December 29, 2017
- Marshall Alworth Hall (MWAH) Room 195, UMD Campus 1023 University Drive, Duluth MN 55812 (Map)
- 5 PM to 6 PM
- Visit the event page for details and to register
Driven by curiosity, scientist are unraveling the mysteries of nature based on reason, logic and experiments. The Theory of Everything public lecture series, organized by members of the Theoretical Physics and Cosmology group at UMD, brings cutting edge insights in contemporary theoretical physics to a broad audience. The senior scientists will challenge your world-view as they introduce you to quantum mechanics and parallel universes, to quantum computation and quantum field theories, to general relativity and black holes, to the big bang cosmology and inflation, to string theory and quantum gravity, to quantum cosmology and the multiverse, among other topics.
Science on Deck
- Friday, May 26, 2017
- Scheduled 90-minute tour time slots will take place between the hours of 10 AM and 4 PM.
- Get an on board vessel tour, learn how to build your own Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) and see one in action in this short workshop, scientist talks and more!
- The Blue Heron Research Vessel is docked behind the Great Lakes Aquarium on Harbor Drive
- Space is limited so please register your school group today!