Master of Environmental Health and Safety
You are here
Fall Deadline for those living in the United States - July 30th
Fall Deadline for those living outside the United States - April 15th
Spring Deadline for those living in the United States - November 1st
Spring Deadline for those living outside the United States - October 1st
All application materials are submitted electronically through the ApplyYourself application system, but please review the following sections first. And please be aware that anything delivered to us via e-mail, mail or delivery service will not be reviewed.
Prerequisites for Admission
The preferred undergraduate GPA for admittance to the program is 3.00.
Applicants preferably will have a baccalaureate degree in a science, engineering, or other E.H.S.-related field. All degrees, must have been earned at an accredited college or university.
Other requirements to be completed before admission:
- Applicants must have earned a grade of C or better at the collegiate level in the following introductory coursework: chemistry with a lab component, and statistics.
- Applicants must provide three letters of recommendation, one of which should be from an instructor or professor in the department awarding the student's baccalaureate degree.
- Recommendations should address either the student's academic ability or readiness to pursue a professional graduate degree in E.H.S., if not both.
- Recommendations from family members will not be accepted.
- Preferred applicants will have work experience related to E.H.S. and have completed collegiate-level coursework in introductory physics, human biology and/or physiology, and psychology.
All materials are submitted electronically through the online application system, but please review the following sections first.
Required Sections of the Application
- Personal Information
- Application Information
- Educational Background (Upload transcripts here)
- Test Information-self reported (if applicable)
- Awards & Activities
- Employment/Residence Information
- Financial Support
- Legal Agent/Privacy Statement
- Recommendations (2)
- Applicant Statements
- GRE Scores
Supplemental Information Required by the Program
In addition to the required information in the online application, please make sure to complete the following and upload to the application to make sure you are given proper consideration:
- Complete the MEHS Essay Questions about EHS-related scenarios. Essays should be uploaded in the “program Supplemental Information” section under the Writing Sample option
- Unofficial transcripts - Official transcripts or paper copies are not needed for initial review. However, if admitted, the University will then require official transcripts.
- TOEFL Score - Required only for international applicants where native language is not English (see tab below for more information)
- GRE Scores are optional. The institution code for the University of Minnesota Duluth campus is 6873 and GRE department code is 1502.
- Three letters of recommendation are required. At least one recommendation must be from a current or former professor who can assess your potential for graduate work. Mailed recommendations and recommendations from family members will not be accepted.
*GRE Score and Letters of Recommendation requirements are waived for current UMD Mechanical Engineering undergraduate students.
English Proficiency Requirements
- University policy requires international applicants (and domestic applicants whose native language is not English) to provide proof of English language proficiency as a condition of admission.
- Please see the English Proficiency Requirements website for minimum requirements for the TOEFL, MELAB, or IELTS exams.
- University policy sets additional minimum standards for English speaking proficiency for teaching assistants. If you are offered a teaching assistantship and your TOEFL speaking sub-score (or equivalent) is below 27, you may be required to take additional English language training.
Uploading Transcripts and Credentials: Unofficial transcripts or academic records should be uploaded directly in the online application. DO NOT mail in transcripts.
A decision for admission will be emailed to you after your application has been carefully reviewed by the department’s admission committee and your transcripts and any credentials (test reports, diploma copies, etc.) have been authenticated by Graduate School officials.