We welcome applications from students interested in pursuing a Master of Environmental Health and Safety. All application materials are submitted electronically through the online application system, but please review the following sections first. Materials delivered to us via e-mail, mail or delivery service will not be accepted.
A decision for admission will be emailed to you after your application has been carefully reviewed by the department’s admission committee and your transcripts and any credentials (test reports, diploma copies, etc.) have been authenticated by Graduate School officials
- April 15, 2021 is the deadline for those living outside of the United States
- July 30, 2021 is the deadline for those living in the United States
- October 1, 2021 is the deadline for those living outside of the United States
- November 1, 2021 is the deadline for those living in the United States
Prerequisites for Admission
Applicants must have earned a grade of C or better at the collegiate level in the following introductory coursework: chemistry with a lab component, and statistics.
The preferred undergraduate GPA for admittance to the program is 3.00.
Applicants preferably will have a baccalaureate degree in a science, engineering, or other E.H.S.-related field. All degrees, must have been earned at an accredited college or university.
Also, preferred applicants will have work experience related to E.H.S. and have completed collegiate-level coursework in introductory physics, human biology and/or physiology, and psychology
Special Application instructions
University policy requires international applicants (and domestic applicants whose native language is not English) to provide proof of English Language proficiency as a condition of admission. In addition, federal immigration regulations prohibit the University from issuing a visa document to any student who has not satisfied this requirement.
TOEFL Score - Acceptable English Proficiency Test. The institution code for the University of Minnesota Duluth campus is 6873.
The TOEFL score is sent directly to the Graduate School Admissions Office.
The following minimum scores must be obtained from one of the following English Proficiency exams:
TOEFL exam (internet based): Total score of 79 with a writing subscore of 21 and a reading subscore of 19
IELTS Exam: Total score of 65.5 with a writing subscore of 6.5 and reading subscore of 6.5
MELAB: Total score of 80
Visit the Graduate School website for complete information on English Proficiency requirements.
Required Sections of the Application
- Biographical Information
- Personal Background
- Academic History- make sure to include include transcripts that show the required prerequisite courses listed in the above “Prerequisites” section. Unofficial transcripts or academic records should be uploaded directly in the online application. DO NOT mail in transcripts.
- Test Scores – Upload TOEFL or IELTS scores if required. See “Special Application Instructions” section above. GRE scores are optional
- Recommendations – 3 letters of recommendation are required. At least one recommendation must be from a current or former professor who can assess your potential for graduate work. Mailed recommendations and recommendations from family members will not be accepted.
For the materials section, the following are required
- Personal Statement –In your statement please describe why you are interested in pursuing a MEHS degree and why you believe you would work well in the EHS profession. Where relevant, include examples of work experiences or personal encounters that may have influenced your decision to apply.
Optional Sections of the Application
- Diversity Statement
- Extenuating Circumstances Statement
- Description of Research
- Writing sample and Graduate Program additional Material sections are not used by our program