You are here
Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)
Similar to applying for a grant, students submit research proposals that are evaluated by three faculty members. Awardees are then announced and receive a stipend and expenses to move forward with their project.
Applications are accepted in the fall and spring. To find out more about the program, see who is eligible and apply, visit:
Next date is Monday October 19, 2020 for spring 2021 projects.
Due to the large volume of applications and processing requirements, UROP deadlines are strict. Late applications are not accepted.
The April 9, 2020 Showcase was CANCELLED. Below are details also shared on the UMD UROP page.
As of March 16, 2020, undergraduate students are not to return to campus to work on research projects. We recognize that it is in the best interest of students in credit-bearing research programs to complete their programs on time and are working to make this process as smooth as possible. We also want students on research scholarships like UROP awards to complete their work so they can receive their final scholarship payment.
Within the limitations of current conditions, we have come up with some options for students (including those graduating) to finish their projects. Students must still complete the ending requirements, but we understand that projects may take unforeseen turns. Here's a link to our options: https://ugresearch.umn.edu/covid-19 It's up to the student and mentor to find the best option for the student and their project.
In lieu of a showcase opportunity, students should deposit UROP project reports to the University Digital Conservancy. This counts as a presentation, a requirement for UROP projects. It will publicize work and make it searchable through Google and provide a secure backup with a persistent URL.
How to make this work:
Go to the University Digital Conservancy (UDC): z.umn.edu/umdudc
Click on the gold “Upload to the UDC” button and log in with your UMD credentials
Select a collection: “University of Minnesota Duluth>UMD Undergraduate Research Opportunities (UROP)> UMD Undergraduate Research Opportunities (UROP)”
Follow the prompts and fill in the form, selecting “Next” to move to the next page when needed
- For Type, choose “Presentation”
- Read the Terms of Deposit before submitting
- Click “Complete” when done and your work will be submitted!
If you have any questions specific to the digital conservancy please contact either Jodi Carlson Grebinoski (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Laura Vavrosky (email@example.com). The University of Minnesota's Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program offers financial awards to full-time undergraduates for research, scholarly, or create projects undertaken in partnership with a faculty member.
Additional Resources for UROP Participants
- Faculty members have also shared Potential UROP Projects.
- Be sure to check in with your department or other departments of interest as they have additional information that can help you get involved in a research project.
- Final Report Information - This is a necessary step for all participants. If you have completed or are near completion of your project, check this out.
- Additional Funding Request - To present the results of your research when other funds are exhausted. UROP students are encouraged to make use of other possible funding sources, no matter the amount, such as possible departmental or collegiate funds, and to have that funding secured when they make a request.
- Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
- Extension form - Print it out, fill it out, sign it and return it to the address listed.
- Faculty Evaluation Form (doc)
- Student Travel Request (pdf) - Travel must be associated with presenting research.
If you have questions about the UROP program, contact:
Swenson College UROP Coordinator
Brian Hinderliter, Associate Dean
140 Engineering Bldg.