Swenson College Summer Bridge Program
Get a jump start on your college experience at this free, 5-day camp on the UMD campus, June 27 - July 1. This program is designed for incoming UMD students to provide a chance to make connections and get oriented to campus before the start of our fall semester.
Participants will get to know other incoming Swenson College of Science and Engineering (SCSE) students and experience life as a Bulldog!
- Stay in the dorms
- Do STEM-focused activities with professors
- Meet current SCSE students that can act as mentors
- Get orientated to campus resources and centers
- Explore Duluth with your new friends
- Embarking on the Blue Heron Research Vessel for a cruise on Lake Superior (June 28)
Incoming UMD SCSE students who are at least one of the following are eligible:
1. Low income (qualify for Pell Grant)
2. American Indian or Native Hawaiian, Alaska Native, African American, Asian/Pacific American, or Latino/Chicano
3. Woman interested in computer science, physics, mathematics, statistics, chemistry, biochemistry, or engineering degrees.
4. First Generation College Student
5. Non-traditional student
7. English as a Second Language (ESL)
5. Other underrepresented status in STEM or SCSE.
Only 20 spots are available, so apply now by filling out this online form! Priority deadline is May 27.
We'll be on campus 75% of the time and off campus in Duluth about 25% of the time and all supervised by faculty or student mentors. The Blue Heron Research Vessel excursion on Lake Superior is on June 28.
Dorm/Sleeping Accommodations: We are housing students one person per room this year. A pack list will be shared with participants before the camp.
Food: Students can bring snacks, but all meals will be provided through the dining hall, catering, or at restaurants.
Transportation: Provide your own transportation to campus on June 27 (arrive by 10:30 am) and back home on July 1 (leave at 2 pm), but all transportation during the camp will be provided on school busses.
- May 27: Application deadline for priority registration (late applications accepted if space available)
- After May 27: Check your UMD email regularly for more info and to confirm your commitment to attending the camp. If you do not respond to your emails your spot may be given to another student on the wait list (if applies).
- June 27-July 1: Camp at UMD
Questions? Contact program director, Rachel Breckenridge at [email protected]