PhD Petroleum Engineering | University of Wyoming
MS. Chemical Engineering | University of Wyoming
M.S. Petroleum Engineering | University of Wyoming
B.S. Chemical Engineering/Chemistry | University of Wisconsin - Madison
ChE 3111 Fluid Mechanics
ChE 3211 Chemical Engineering Lab
ChE 4301 Chemical Reaction Engineering
ChE 4402 Process Dynamics and Control
ChE 5121 Advanced Thermodynamics
ChE 5131 Polymer Engineering
Nanomaterials, greenhouse gases capture and conversion, energy materials, biofuel, air capture, chemical-looping, polymers, molecular separations, catalysis, battery & energy storage, biomedical
Example of Research Projects
CO2 Capture projects
- Direct Air Capture
- Direct Ocean Capture
- Flue Gas Capture
Value added chemicals/fuel production from material of environmental concern conversion projects
- Electrochemical CO2 Reduction to Butanol
- Fuel conversion from plastic wastes
- Hydrogen production via pyrolysis
Developing novel green-low-cost-super capacitor battery
Examples of Technical Publications
Out of about 50 peer-reviewed publications
Citations over 2,200; recent average over 440/year; h-index 24; i10-index 35 https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ZVBUc3sAAAAJ&hl=en
- Sun, Z; Toan, S; Chen, S; Xiang, W; Fan, M; Zhu, M; Ma, S. Biomass pyrolysis-gasification over Zr promoted CaO-HZSM-5 catalysts for hydrogen and bio-oil co-production with CO2 capture. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (2017), 42(25), 16031-16044.
- Yao, H; Toan, S; Fan, M; Huang, L; Wang Y; Russell, AG; Lou, G; Fei, W. TiO(OH)2 – A highly effective catalyst for significant improvement of CO2 desorption kinetics and thus large reduction in CO2 capture cost: A new pathway. Scientific Report-Nature (2017), 7(2943).
- Toan, S; Lai, Q; O’Dell, W; Sun, Z; Song, H; Zhao, Y; Radosz, M; Adidharma, H; Russell, A; Yao, H; Wang, Y; Fei, W; Fan, M. Green, Safe, Fast, and Inexpensive Removal of CO2 from Non-Carcinogenic Aqueous KHCO3 Solutions Using a TiO(OH)2 Catalyst: A Milestone Toward Truly Low-Cost CO2 Capture That Can Ease Implementing the Paris Climate Accord. Nano Energy (2018), 53, 508-512.
- Toan, S; Lai, Q; Cheng, H; Assiri, M; Russell, A; Adidharma, H; Radosz, M; Fan, M. Catalyst-TiO(OH)2 could drastically reduce the energy consumption of CO2 capture. Nature Communication (2018), 9:2672.
- Wu, F; Dellenback, P; Russell, K; Toan, S; Gasem, K; Adidharma, A; Radosz, M; Fan, M. TiO(OH)2 can exceed the critical limit of conventional CO2 sorbents: modification needed for high capacity and selectivity. Royal Society of Chemistry (2018), 54, 8395-8398
- Toan, S; O’Dell, W; Russell, C; Zhao, S; Lai, Q; Song, H; Zhao, Y; Fan, M. Thermodynamics of NaHCO3 decomposition during Na2CO3-based CO2 capture. Journal of Environmental Sciences (2019), 78, 74-80.
- Sun, Z; Wu, X; Russell, C; Dyar, M; Sklute, E; Toan, S; Fan, M; Duan, L; Xiang, W. Synergistic enhancement of chemical looping-based CO2 splitting with biomass cascade utilization using cyclic stabilized Ca2Fe2O5 aerogel. Journal of Materials Chemistry A (2019), 7, 1216-1226.
- Ma, S; Chen, S; Zhu, M; Zhao, Z; Hu, J; Wu, M; Toan, S; Xiang, W. Enhanced sintering resistance of Fe2O3/CeO2 oxygen carrier for chemical looping hydrogen generation using core-shell structure. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (2019), 44 (13), 6491-6504.
- Liu, Y; Sun, Z; Toan, S; Chen, S; Xiang, W. Investigations on fluid dynamics of binary particles in a dual fluidized bed reactor system for enhanced calcium looping gasification process. Powder Technology (2020), 361, 803-811.
- Zhou, H; Toan, S. Pathological Roles of Mitochondrial Oxidative Stress and Mitochondrial Dynamics in Cardiac Microvascular Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury. Biomolecules (2020), 10-85.
- Wang, J; Toan, S; Zhou, H. Mitochondrial quality control in cardiac microvascular ischemia-reperfusion injury: New insights into the mechanisms and therapeutic potentials. Pharmacological Research (2020); 156 (104771).
- Li, R; Toan, S; Zhou, H. Role of mitochondrial quality control in the pathogenesis of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Aging (2020), 12.
- Wang, J; Toan, S; Zhou, H. New insights into the role of mitochondria in cardiac microvascular ischemia/reperfusion injury. Angiogenesis (2020).
- Sun, Z; Chen, Z; Toan, S; Sun, Z. Chemical looping deoxygenated gasification: An implication for efficient biomass utilization with high-quality syngas modulation and CO2 reduction. Energy Conversion and Management (2020), 215, 112913
- Wang, Y; Jasper, H; Toan, S; Muid, D; Chang, X; Zhou, H. Mitophagy coordinates the mitochondrial unfolded protein response to attenuate inflammation-mediated myocardial injury. Redox Biology (2021), 45, 102049
- Weng, Q; Toan, S; Ai, RS.; Sun, Z; Sun, Z. Ammonia production from biomass via a chemical looping-based hybrid system. Journal of Cleaner Production (2021), 289, 125749
- Cheng, H; Song, H; Toan, S; Wang, B; Gasem, K; Fan, M; Cheng, F. Experimental investigation of CO2 adsorption and desorption on multi-type amines loaded HZSM-5 zeolites. Chemical Engineering Journal (2021), 406, 126882
- Zhou, H; Ren, J; Toan, S; Mui, D. Role of mitochondrial quality surveillance in myocardial infarction: From bench to bedside. Ageing Research Reviews (2021), 66, 101250
- Zhu, H; Toan, S; Mui, D; Zhou, H. Mitochondrial quality surveillance as a therapeutic target in myocardial infarction. ACTA Physiologica (2021), 231(3), e13590
- Zhang, C; Wang, Z; Chu, L; Chen, R; Zhang, J; Toan, S; Bagley, D; Sun, J; Dong, S; Fan, M. Unified photoelectrocatalytic microbial fuel cell harnessing 3D binder-free photocathode for simultaneous power generation and high-efficiency removal of oxytetracycline in anode and methyl orange in cathode. Journal of Power Sources (2021), 481, 229133
- Luedtke, Z; Sun, Z; Aro, M; Toan, S. Carbon Capture Materials and Technologies: A Review. Current Research in Materials Chemistry (2021), 3(1): 108
- Xu, R; Lu, WQ; Toan, S; Zhou, ZR; Russell, CK, Sun, Z; Sun, ZQ. Thermocatalytic formic acid dehydrogenation: recent advances and emerging trends. Journal of Materials Chemistry A (2021), 9(43), 24241-24260
- Lu, WQ; Zhang, RJ; Toan, S; Xu, R; Zhou, FY; Sun, Z. Microchannel structure design for hydrogen supply from methanol steam reforming. Chemical Engineering Journal (2022), 429, 132286.
- Zeng, L; Wei, D; Toan, S; Sun, Z; Sun, ZQ. Sorption-enhanced chemical looping oxidative steam reforming of methanol for on-board hydrogen supply. Green Energy & Environment (2022), 7(1), 145-155
- Akeeb, O; Wang, L; Xie, W; Davis, R; Alkasrawi, M; Toan, S. Post-combustion CO2 capture via a variety of temperature ranges and material adsorption process: A review. Journal of Environmental Management. 313 (2022) 115026
- Wang, L; Saeed, M; Luo, J; Lee, A; Simonet, R; Sun, Z; Walker, N.; Aro, M.; Davis, R.; Zahra, M. A.; Alkasrawi, M.; Toan, S. Highly Efficient Removal of CO2 Using Water-Lean KHCO3/Isopropanol Solutions. Atmosphere (2022) 13, 1521
- Sun, Z; Liu, H; Toan, S; Shi, W; Cheng, D; Sun, Z. Deoxygenation-enhanced chemical looping gasification: a new pathway to produce hydrogen from biomass. Green Chemistry (2022), 24(6), 2613-2623.
- Luo, J; Han, H; Wu, J; Wang, X; Feng, J; Toan, S. Wang, L; Lai, Y. Excellent photocatalytic activity of MoO3-adorned g-C3N4 systems: Construction of S-scheme heterojunction. Applied Surface Science (2022), 604, 154512
- Sun, D; Wang, J; Toan, S; Muid, D; Li, R; Chang, X; Zhou, H. Molecular mechanisms of coronary microvascular endothelial dysfunction in diabetes mellitus: focus on mitochondrial quality surveillance. Angiogenesis (2022), 25(3), 307-329
- Sun, Z; Liu, J; Zhang, R; Wu, Y; Li, H; Toan, S; Sun, Z. Fabricating Ga doped and MgO embedded nanomaterials for sorption-enhanced steam reforming of methanol. Journal of Materials Chemistry A (2022), 10(13), 7300-7313
Introduction to MATLAB for Chemical and Petroleum Engineering (2017) 2nd Edition, by Sam Toan, Bahareh Nojabaei and Hertanto Adidharma. ISBN: 978-1548004873