Resilient Precast Concrete Undergraduate Certificate
Students can get an official UMD certificate via the Resilient Precast in the Engineering Curriculum (RPEC) Program. This certificate denotes expertise in resilient precast concrete and is funded by the PCI Foundation.
Precast concrete structures are durable and especially resilient. This multidisciplinary program combines traditional concrete engineering skills with cutting-edge knowledge related to resiliency and business management.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic principles that guide design of precast concrete structures
- Identify organization and management issues related to precast concrete and resiliency
- Apply resiliency-based values to engineering decision-making
Students in the program will collaborate directly with Molin Concrete Products, a national leader in this field. They will be exposed to precast concrete during an introductory reinforced concrete course and refine their knowledge in more advanced courses, through participation in a Big Beam competition, and as part of a senior design capstone project.
Molin Concrete will provide tours of their production facilities and job sites to connect classroom experiences to reality for our students.
RPEC Certification also includes a business organizational management class and completing a resiliency-based capstone project that will benefit the community.
Our industry partnership with Molin Concrete Products, PCI Midwest, and the MN Prestress Association makes it possible to offer up to ten $2,425 scholarships for participants in this undergraduate program who maintain a 3.0 or higher GPA. Apply for RPEC scholarships through the general SCSE Engineering Scholarship application.
Fall or Spring Semester:
- CE 4126 - Design of Concrete Structures (3 credits)
- CE 4255 - Senior Design - Structures Focus (4 credits)
- CE 4128/5128 - Prestressed Concrete Structures (3 credits)
- BUS 2400 - Fundamentals of Organizational Management (2 credits)*
- CE 4100 - Management in Precast Concrete (1 credit)*
* These two courses combine to count as a 3-credit Technical or CE Elective. A sample RPEC undergraduate course plan is available to help incorporate these courses into your degree program.
How do I start? At the One Stop Certificate Program website.
Before you apply or if you want more details, contact the RPEC Program Director: