You are here
Student, community and alumni volunteers are actively engaged in carrying out Swenson College's mission. Volunteers engage and educate young students eager to learn about science and engineering fields.
Sign up for a STEM Kit delivery at local schools spot! (see also, online Volunteer Training below)
We're always looking for individuals interested in volunteering. Activities range from presentations, administering activities or demonstrations, assisting with tours or events, serving as a science fair judge and/or acting as a peer mentor for young students. There are opportunities to volunteer for as little as a one hour session or as often as once a week. Opportunities to help are also available for several of our one-day events such as Science and Engineering Day or Astronomy Day.
Think of the resume building possibilities!
You can now perform most of your volunteer orientation and training online. Use the step-by-step instructions below for completing the online portion of your training. You may still be required to attend a hands-on training at the Outreach office or other location, depending on the type of outreach activity you have selected. For example, participating in outreach events involving the use of a specific STEM lesson kit, will require that you attend a 45-minute hands-on training so you are familiar with how to lead a lesson and demonstrate the kit activity.
- Read the Outreach Orientation Guidelines for Community Engagement presentation.
- Read the online Safety of Minors Policy.
- Read the accompanying Health and Safety Requirements and Expectations for Programs Involving Minors (Appendix to Policy).
- Complete the online Outreach Survey that will summarize questions taken from the required reading elements listed above.
- Print, fill out and sign the Volunteer Release and Agreement. Bring with you to your in-person training with the Outreach Coordinator.
- Once you have completed the steps above, and if your outreach event requires it, you will be contacted by the Outreach Coordinator to schedule your hands-on kit training.
- For some events such as Science and Engineering Day, you may only be required to come prior to your shift for a brief overview of your outreach role for the day.
- Fill out the Completion of K-12 Outreach Training and Paperwork survey