During 1st semester
Course work, including GEOL 8200 Professional Issues.
Formulate a research project and begin background work necessary to write your thesis proposal.
Work with your advisor to put together a degree plan; file a copy with the DGS for faculty approval, at least two weeks before finals week. Degree Plan Form.
During 2nd semester
Prepare your thesis research proposal and submit to your advisor, and once approved, to your committee for review.
NEW Department Program Assessment Process - When the student provides copies of their thesis proposal to their examining committee, they will also provide an Evaluation Rubric Proposal form for each committee member. The Advisor should turn the completed Evaluation Rubric forms to the department the same day as the thesis proposal.
Provide a Thesis Progress Report to your committee early in the fall semester.
Thesis research (field and lab work; Plan A)
Thesis writing; communicate with your advisor! (Plan A)
Register thesis with the UMD Graduate School Office (Plan A)
- Request Graduation Packet here
- Provide a copy of your thesis to your committee at least two weeks before your defense.
- Schedule a room with a two hour time frame and send the information (title, day, and time) to Laura Chapin to post your defense flyer.
- NEW Department Program Assessment Process - When the student provides copies of their thesis to their examining committee, they will also provide each committee member with an Evaluation Thesis Rubric form (interactive). The Advisor should turn the completed Evaluation Rubric forms to the department the same day as the thesis defense.
Present thesis research in a public oral presentation followed by a final (closed) exam with your committee.
Submit the final revision of your thesis with UMD Graduate Office located at 431 Darland (Plan A).
Submit your thesis and the UMD University Digital Conservancy (UDC) consent form to the April Finkenhoefer.
Apply to Graduate online through your MyU Portal by the first day of the month in which you intend to complete all degree requirements.
- Application for Degree (Instructions).
- Commence! UMD Commencement Manager - log in to confirm your degree information and submit the Commencement Questionnaire, even if you to not plan to attend Commencement Exercises.
IMPORTANT - Remember upon completion of coursework and thesis credits, Graduate School policy requires that you register every fall and every spring for Grad 999 to remain active until your degree is awarded.