Formal mentoring programs pair mentors and mentees and has explicit goals, an expected meeting timeline, and target outcomes.
Structured mentoring programs are valuable because they have been shown to facilitate positive career outcomes, such increased research productivity and reduced time to promotion, as well as better subjective outcomes such as enhanced career satisfaction, career commitment, and job satisfaction.
Informal mentoring relationships evolve more spontaneously and are typically based on professional or person affinities.
These relationships are also extremely valuable because they can fill mentoring gaps either related to professional scholarship or personal support and are especially valuable for issues surrounding gender, race, or ethnicity.
Junior faculty are especially encouraged to seek out peer-to-peer mentoring that circumvents the inherent senior-junior power dynamic of formal mentor teams. All faculty are encouraged to think carefully about their mentoring network and to use both formats to their greatest advantage.
Swenson College of Science and Engineering
- SCSE Committee on Equity and Diversity
- SCSE Female Faculty on Slack Group chat with channels (messaging feeds) devoted to teaching, research, etc.
- SCSE Active Learning Cohorts
- SCSE Colloquium (watch for email notices)
- SCSE Meetings with the Dean by rank (watch for email notices)
- SCSE Birds of a Feather (coordinated by the SCSE Executive Committee)
- SCSE Human Resources contact person in the Dean’s office, Deanna Oswald
University of Minnesota Duluth
- Multicultural Center
- Office of Diversity and Inclusion
- Employees of Color and American Indian Support Group, The Bark
- Campus Climate Teams
- UMD Commission for Women
- Writer's Workshop
- Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
- Responding to Sexual Misconduct at UMD
- University Education Association, UMD faculty union
- Women in Engineering and Science (WES) Duluth Chapter
- Twin Ports Freshwater Folk
- Twin Ports R-user Group
- Café Scientifique Twin Ports
- Arrowhead Astronomical Society
- Office for Equity and Diversity
- Institute on the Environment
- National Council of Faculty Development and Diversity, University of Minnesota System is a member