You are here
Call For Proposals
We Need Presenters
Share your idea for a workshop or field trip at the 2019 Lake Superior Youth Symposium!
LSYS is a great opportunity to share what you love about Lake Superior!
It's also a chance to reach high school students and educators that are highly engaged in this topic.
Keep in mind, this is an interdisciplinary conference so we need presenters with a wide range of expertise - art, culture, history, social justice, business, science, sustainability, communications, government, engineering and health (just to name a few).
Workshops will be delivered on Friday, May 17, 2019.
Field trips will be either a half-day or full-day in length on Saturday, May 18th.
Organizers will review your pre-proposal on October 29th and will reach out to selected presenters for more details in early November.
Examples of past workshop topics:
- Living with wildlife
- Mining Impacts in the Great Lakes Region: A Tribal Perspective
- Common Sense Wildnerness Survival and First Aid
- Leave No Trace in the Wilderness
- Painters of the Lake: Inspiration from Lake Superior
- Worm Watch
- Fur Trade - Life of a Voyageur
- Digital Data - Manipulate Hydrologic Data Available Online
- Get Off the Grid - Explore Renewable Energy Options
Examples of past field trips:
- After the Flush - a tour of WLSSD's wastewater treatment plant
- Breaking Up Is Hard To Do - geological tour of Duluth
- Lazy Day on the Lester River - work with scientists to collect data
- Uncovered - visit the EPA's Research laboratory
- Warbler Walk - Learn about spring birds and visit Park Point to bird watch
- Buckthorn Boot Camp - Learn about invasive species and remove some buckthorn
- Wild about Wild Rice - Visit Fond du Lac Reservation to visit a wild rice lake and learn about water quality issues
- Keep on Trekkin - Hike the Superior Hiking Trail
- Set Sail - Learn the fundamentals of sailing while taking a sailboat trip on Lake Superior