You are here
Dr. Mary Christiansen LEED AP
Structural Engineering and Concrete Materials
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI (2013)
- M.S. Structural Engineering, Milwaukee School of Engineering, Milwaukee, WI (2008)
- B.S. Architectural Engineering, Milwaukee School of Engineering, Milwaukee, WI (2008)
Academic & Professional Experience:
- Director of Graduate Studies of Applied Materials Science MS, University of Minnesota Duluth (2019 - present)
- Associate Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota Duluth (2019 - present)
- Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota Duluth (2013 - 2019)
- Instructor in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Michigan Technological University (2011 - 2013)
- Graduate Research Assistant, Michigan Technological University (2008 - 2013)
- Development and characterization of alternative cements and portland cement binders
- Investigation of the microstructure and mechanical properties of alkali-activated binders
- High-temperature properties of alkali-activated geopolymers
- Use of SCMs (glass, fly ash, slag, etc.) in portland cement-based binders
- ASR mitigation potential of portland cement concrete containing binary or ternary blends of SCMs
- Engineering in Training
- LEED AP (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional)
Professional Memberships & Committees:
- ACI Committee 242, Alternative Cements (2017 - present, founding chair)
- ACI Committee 232, Fly Ash in Concrete (2014 - present)
- ACI Committee 240, Pozzolans (2014 - present, voting member)
- ACI Innovative Task Group (ITG-10), Alternative Cementitious Materials (2014 - 2018, secretary)
- ACI Committee 232, Fly Ash in Concrete (2014 - 2017, secretary)
Awards & Honors:
- Chancellor’s Award for Outstanding Public Service (2019)
- Outstanding Faculty Advisor for SCSE (2018)
- ACI Outstanding Poster Award (graduate student Scot Larson) (2017)
- UMD Faculty Sustainability Inspiration Award (2015)
- CE 3027 Infrastructure Materials
- CE 3115 Structural Analysis
- CE 4100 Management in Precast Concrete
- CE 4115 Design of Steel Structures
- CE 4126 Design of Concrete Structures
- CE 4255 Senior Design
- CE 4515/5515 Sustainable Design and Construction
- CE 5027 Advanced Infrastructure Materials
- CE 5131 Design of Wood, Masonry, and Cold-formed Steel Structures
Selected Publications & Products:
Christiansen, Mary U., “Effects of Composition and Activator Type on Glass-Based Geopolymers.” ACI Materials Journal, September 2019, V116, No 5.
*Sundberg, Casey, B. Hinderliter, M. Christiansen, A. Schokker. “Alkali-Activated Concretes for Use in Nuclear Facilities and High Temperature Environments,” Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Environmental Degradation of Materials in Nuclear Power Systems – Water Reactors, Boston, MA, Aug 2019.
Christiansen, Mary U., B. Dymond, “The Effect of Composition on the Performance of Ground Glass Pozzolan.” ACI Materials Journal, Special Issue: Pozzolans, July 2019, V116, No 4.
ACI Innovation Task Group 10 - Alternative Cementitious Materials, Sutter, Lawrence L., D. Hooton, M. Christiansen, “Report on Alternative Cements.” American Concrete Institute, Detroit, MI. October 2018.
ACI Innovation Task Group 10 - Alternative Cementitious Materials, Sutter, Lawrence L., D. Hooton, M. Christiansen, “Practitioner’s Guide for Alternative Cements.” American Concrete Institute, Detroit, MI. May 2018.
Christiansen, Mary U., A. Hoxie, M. Granley, J. Slick, “Shines!: University Engineering Students Advancing Duluth’s Sustainable Development.” Sustainability: The Journal of Record, Vol. 10, No. 6. December 2017.
*Murr, Ashley, M. Christiansen. “The Sustainable Sidewalks Initiative: Project-Based Learning for Civil Engineering Students,” Proceedings of the ASEE North Midwest Section Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, Sep. 29, 2017.
R. Doug Hooton, L. Sutter, M. Christiansen, “Development of Test Methods and Specifications for Chemically Activated Binders.” ACI Special Publication SP-320. August 2017.
Hoxie, Alison B., M. Christiansen, “Project-based Sustainability Courses Provide Practical Educational Experience for Students While Advancing Sustainability Within the Local Community,” Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Conference and Expo, New Orleans, LA, June 27-29, 2016.
Hooton, R. Douglas, L. Sutter, M. Christiansen, “Developing Specifications for Sustainable Concrete Binder Technologies.” Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Grand Challenges in Construction Materials, Los Angeles, CA, March 17-18, 2016.
Saftner, David A., M. Christiansen, A. Hanson, J. Jenson, S. Ojard, R. Teasley, E. Woster, “Enhancing Communication Practices Through Development of Departmental Civil Engineering Writing Guide.” Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Seattle, WA, June 14-17, 2015.
*Jansen, Matthew S., M. Christiansen, “Effect of Water-Solids Ratio on the Compressive Strength and Morphology of Fly-Ash Waste Glass Geopolymer Mortars.” Proceedings of the 2015 World of Coal Ash, Nashville, TN, May 4-7, 2015.
Christiansen, Mary U., E. Dave, A. Hanson, J. Jenson, S. Ojard, D. Saftner, R. Teasley, “Development of a Department Writing Guide for Civil Engineering.” Proceedings of the ASEE North Midwest Section Annual Conference, Iowa City, IA, Oct. 16-17, 2014.
Christiansen, Mary U., L. Sutter, “Waste Glass for Use in Geopolymers.” ACI Special Publication on Green Cements SP-294. October 2013.
Christiansen, M. U., C. Diggelman, “An Analysis of Environmental and Fiscal Impacts of Recycling During Kern Center Construction.” International Conference: Sustainable Construction Materials and Technologies, Coventry, England, June 2007.
*Denotes UMD student author