You are here
Dr. Ben Dymond
- Ph.D. Civil (Structural) Engineering, University of Minnesota Twin Cities (2015)
- M.S. Civil (Structural) Engineering, Virginia Tech (2007)
- B.S. Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech (2006)
Academic & Professional Experience:
- Assistant Professor, University of Minnesota Duluth (2016-present)
- Director, UMD Resilient Precast in the Engineering Curriculum Program (2018-present)
- Part-Time Faculty, California State University Sacramento (2015)
- Project Engineer, KPFF Consulting Engineers (2015-2016)
- LTBP Research Associate, Virginia Tech (2008-2010)
- Structural Engineer II, AECOM (2008)
- CE 3115 - Structural Analysis
- CE 4100 - Applications of Management in Precast Concrete
- CE 4126 - Design of Concrete Structures
- CE 4136 - Structural Systems
- CE 4128/5128 - Prestressed Concrete Structures
- CE 5127 - Bridge Analysis and Design
Research and Teaching Interests
My research and teaching agenda focuses on the resiliency of reinforced and prestressed concrete infrastructure and structural systems. This agenda emerges from my early work on the Federal Highway Administration’s Long-Term Bridge Performance Program and from my experience as a consulting structural engineer at AECOM and KPFF. I pursue this interest in a number of directions, including destructive experimental laboratory research, short- and long-term field monitoring experiments, and non-destructive numerical analyses. I have conducted a variety of internally and externally funded projects investigating anchorage and bond of GFRP and epoxy-coated rebar, deterioration of mixed rebar bridge decks, shear capacity of hollow-core slabs with partially filled cores, and flexural strength of nail-laminated timber crane mats. In addition, I participate in numerous professional and university related service endeavors to further the field of structural engineering and mentor the next generation of engineers.
UMD YouTube Videos of Dr. Dymond's Students:
Select Publications & Patents
- Dymond, B. Z., French, C. E. W., & Shield, C. K. (2019). “Recommendations for More Accurate Shear Rating of Prestressed Concrete Girder Bridges." ASCE J. of Bridge Engineering, 24(12), 1-11.
- Christiansen, M. U., Dymond, B. Z. (2019). "Effect of Composition on the Performance of Ground Glass Pozzolan." ACI Materials Journal, 116(4), 89-98.
- Treat, C., Dymond, B. Z. (2019). "Deterioration of Mixed Rebar and Fiber-Reinforced Concrete Bridge Decks." Bridge Engineering Institute, July 22-25, Honolulu, HI.
- Mills, C., Dymond, B. Z. (2019). "Anchorage of Epoxy-Coated Rebar Post-Installed Using Chemical Adhesives." Bridge Engineering Institute, July 22-25, Honolulu, HI.
- Dymond, B. Z., Swenty, M. K., Ojard, S. (2019). “Longitudinal Integration of the Same Design Project in Multiple Structural Engineering Courses.” ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, June 15, Tampa, FL.
- Bajwa, M. S., Dymond, B. Z., & Al-Hammoud, R. (2018). “Bond Strength of Post-Installed GFRP Bars in Beam-Column Connections.” 9th International Conference on Fibre-Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Composites in Civil Engineering (CICE 2018), July 17-19, Paris.
- Dymond, B. Z., French, C. E. W., & Shield, C. K. (2018). “Torsional effects on load tests to quantify shear distribution in prestressed concrete girder bridges." ACI SP 323-10: Evaluation of Concrete Bridge Behavior through Load Testing - International Perspectives, 10.1-10.18.
- Dymond, B. Z., Swenty, M. K., Carroll, J. C. (2018). "The Influence of Grading Bias on Reinforced Concrete Exam Scores at Three Different Universities." ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, June 24-27, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Dymond, B. Z., Swenty, M. K. (2017). “Horizontal Integration of the Same Design Project in Multiple Structural Engineering Courses.” ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, June 25-28, Columbus, OH.
- Swenty, M. K., Dymond, B. Z., D’Alessandro, K. C. (2016). “A Scavenger Hunt to Connect the As-Built World to Structural Engineering Theory.” ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, June 26-29, New Orleans, LA.
- Dymond, B. Z., Roberts-Wollmann, C. L., Wright, W. J., Cousins, T. E., Bapat, A. V. (2013). “Pedestrian Bridge Collapse and Failure Analysis in Giles County, Virginia.” ASCE J. of Per. of Constructed Facilities, 28(4), 04014006.
- Dymond, B. Z., Roberts-Wollmann, C. L., and Cousins, T. E. (2010). “Shear Strength of a Lightweight Self-Consolidating Concrete Bridge Girder.” ASCE J. of Bridge Engineering, 15(5), 615-618.
- Dymond, B. Z., Bowers, S. E., Roberts-Wollmann, C. L., Cousins, T. E., and Schokker, A. J. (2009). “Inspecting the Lightweight Precast Concrete Panels in the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Deck of 1982.” ASCE J. of Per. of Constructed Facilities, 23(6), 382-390.
- Bapat, A. V., Cousins, T. E., Dymond, B. Z., and Roberts-Wollmann, C. L. (2009). “Giles County, VA Pedestrian Bridge Collapse & Failure Analysis.” Final Contract Report, Virginia Transportation Research Council, Charlottesville, VA.
- Stephens, T. C., Dymond, B. Z., and Plaut, R. H. (2014). “Geotextile Tube with Flat Ends.” U.S. Patent No. 8777523B2.
- Stephens, T. C., Dymond, B. Z., and Plaut, R. H. (2012). “Geotextile Tube with Flat Ends.” Mexico Patent No. 296550.