Students in this program have the opportunity to conduct research (left), review findings with faculty (middle) and share their results with a presentation (right).
Why Should You Apply to the Honors Program at UMD Chemistry & Biochemistry?
The Honors Program of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is designed to provide Chemistry & Biochemistry majors a framework to enhance their educational experience by engaging in supervised undergraduate scientific research.
Under the supervision of a research advisor, successful students in the Honors Program will learn to:
- Design a multi-semester research project, define a research hypothesis, outline milestones, and estimate costs.
- Use the instrumentation, reagents, and software that are necessary to carry out the research project.
- Collect, organize, and analyze experimental data following best practices in the research field.
- Critically reflect on the experimental data in relation to the hypothesis, and draw meaningful conclusions.
- Present scientific research through rigorous and engaging oral, visual, and written communications.
- Professionally communicate with peers, senior scientists, and nonprofessionals alike.
- Enhance their communication and teamwork skills.
All these skills are directly transferrable and sought after both in industry, professional schools, and in academic programs. By demonstrating the achievements obtained through the Honors Program, students will become more proficient in a broad range of skills, and in turn more marketable for the next step in their careers as professionals.
Upon successful completion of the Honors Program, participants will receive Honors cords to wear at graduation and distinction listed on your official transcript and diploma.
Honors Program Handbook
A detailed description of the program is provided in the Honors Program Handbook.
Honors Program Form
After having contacted the Program Chair, identified a research advisor, and defined a 3-semester research plan in consultation with your research advisor, students should use the following form to apply to the Program. The same form is used to report progress at the end of each semester and to submit their Honors thesis. Honors Track Form.