You are here
Biology Student Clubs
The Biology Department is the official campus sponsor for seven student organizations each with its own faculty adviser.
Open to all students pursuing either a major or a minor within the department, the Biology Club allows you to:
- Interact socially and academically with your peers and department faculty
- Contribute to service projects and fundraisers
- Take a break from your studies
- Enjoy activities like picnics, camping trips, bowling excursions with faculty and intramural sports
- Ask questions about biology classes or faculty
- Share feedback and get information from departmental administrators
Meetings are held 1-2 times a month with an additional 2-3 scheduled outings per semester.
In this club, members and the club's faculty adviser provide information on gaining practical experience, advice in applying for dental school, and opportunities to participate in fun activities. Typically 6-8 meetings are held per semester. Occasionally special workshops are offered to help you prepare for dental school applications.
This club is geared to undergraduates seeking admission into medical school. It is highly visible and meets on a regular basis throughout the school year. Speakers from the UMD Medical School are often invited to speak at club events. The club also:
- Helps members secure volunteer experiences within the Duluth community
- Holds workshops helping members write their personal statements
- Provides study hints for the MCAT
- Partners with community organizations to host on-campus blood drives
By getting involved with this club, students meet others with a common career goal and can learn a lot about admission to veterinary medical schools through a variety of events. Activities have included a behind the scenes tour of the Lake Superior Zoo and the North Shore Veterinary Hospital where members were able to interact with practicing veterinarians and learn about alternative methods like acupuncture and herbal treatments. Especially popular is the group's annual trip to the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine open house for a tour of the facility.
This group meets on a regular basis and is specifically intended for students seeking admission into pharmacy school, either at UMD or elsewhere. Special events include speakers from the UMD Pharmacy School, workshops on preparing application materials, and conducting Pharmacy College Admission practice tests.
Getting involved with this group helps students prepare for entrance into physician assistant programs by providing opportunities to learn more about the profession. The club prides itself on providing a welcoming, safe, and fun environment for you to meet others interested in this field. Volunteer work is an important part of the club's activities along with fundraisers, social events, and guest speakers.